The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 108 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,115
Posts1,056,292
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 436
6
'Bolter
'Bolter
6 Offline
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 436
I had a scary one happen yesterday. Drove the old '62 to work. when I got ready to leave, I put it in reverse and cranked the wheel to back out of the parking space and heard and felt a major "BANG!", then the steering wheel spun with ease and felt completely disconnected. I got out and looked, sure enough, the Rag Joint had shredded and fallen out. I'm sure glad this happened backing out of a parking space instead of on the freeway at 70+ mph like I was doing the day before.

Here are a couple of pictures of the aftermath.

Steering Box

Rag Joint

I guess this is to be expected after 55 years of uninterrupted service. :-)

No replacement parts locally, but Brothers Trucks had the rebuild kit for $14.99. New part is on order.

Last edited by 62Stick; 12/13/2016 5:27 PM.
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,951
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,951
Glad you are OK and nobody hurt. A good reminder to all of us that a routine inspection is time well spent. Steering and brake component inspection go at the top of the list.

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,805
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,805
That happened to me a couple of times when I was driving FURD pickups with rusted-out front cab mounts. The weight of the cab puts a strain on the flex joint. Better check the steering shaft for alignment, and look at cab mounts in particular!
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 436
6
'Bolter
'Bolter
6 Offline
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 436
Cab mounts are definitely in need of replacement, at least the bushings. I already knew that. The metal is in good shape though. I did the core support mount bushings already, but not the cab. I did not know that it was that critical. I figured that I had time to keep it low on the list. Now I know better.

I'll add that to my list of many things. :-)

Last edited by 62Stick; 12/13/2016 11:32 PM.
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 1,718
H
Moderator: 60-66 Trucks; North Eastern Bolters
Moderator: 60-66 Trucks; North Eastern Bolters
H Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 1,718
Thanks for that connection Jerry. I had not made that relationship and my cab is one of my worries.


~ HB
1966 Chevrolet K-10 | Ghost: formerly Flappy Fenders | In the Stovebolt Gallery
1962 Chevrolet C10
1962 Suburban
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,611
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,611
Consider yourself very fortunate that the failure happened in a parking lot.


1941 Chevy 1 1/2-ton WW2 4x4 dump truck
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Lots more pictures
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 436
6
'Bolter
'Bolter
6 Offline
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 436
I do consider myself very lucky. That's one of the reasons I started this thread. I wanted to bring this subject to the attention of others.

Please check the rag joints on your trucks folks. I was lucky, I don't want anyone else to have to rely on luck!

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,805
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,805
I did a very temporary fix involving jacking up the cab and putting wood spacers between the cab and the frame. On the Fords a 2X4 was just about the right thickness to bring the rag joint back into alignment.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 788
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 788
there is usually a lot more strain on it when the truck is not moving or when in a parking space. likeliedt the greatest time of failure.
ron

Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 788
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 788
Originally Posted by Hotrod Lincoln
I did a very temporary fix involving jacking up the cab and putting wood spacers between the cab and the frame. On the Fords a 2X4 was just about the right thickness to bring the rag joint back into alignment.
Jerry
did you use the special ford haywire to hold them in place?
ron

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,805
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,805
Originally Posted by padresag
did you use the special ford haywire to hold them in place?

Nope- - -just a bunch of drywall screws through the cab floor!
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 436
6
'Bolter
'Bolter
6 Offline
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 436
Well, the new part came in yesterday, but it was raining to hard to work on the truck.

This afternoon, I had both the time and clear weather to work on it. Truck is now officially repaired and back on the road!!

Steering Coupler Repair.


Moderated by  Hambone, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0