The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (59 fleet, 3800GUY, Charles in CA, IHPWR), 144 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,107
Posts1,056,225
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1195139 12/13/2016 7:39 AM
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 93
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 93
Hello Folks : I need to replace transmission bearings in a '47 1/2 ton pickup with 3 speed floor shift transmission. I've looked at the factory repair manual and it shows them using special GM pullers to remove the main shaft and rear shaft.
From experience, are these special pullers necessary or can the job be done with conventional pullers ? Transmissions seem pretty daunting.....any hints I need to know before I tear this thing apart ?
As always, thanks for all your insights !

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
I have rebuilt a lot of these without special GM tools.
You may want to look at some of my blog posts on these transmissions.
Jumping out of third gear.
Fixing 2nd and 3rd gear clash.


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0