The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Otto Skorzeny, Shade Baby, Wayne67vert, Phak1, texczech), 142 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,136
Posts1,056,428
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#119414 02/06/2006 10:19 PM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 946
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 946
I am about to media blast my frame and can't afford to powercoat the frame. What is the toughest primer and paint for the frame, axles, transfercase etc? I have a paint gun so I plan on spraying it. Any suggestions would be great!

Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
I'd recommend zero rust

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,031
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,031
por 15
It mostly depends on where you live and the availability of these products. If one is sold close by and the other you have to mail order
which will you choose?? I ONLY brush it. Bought a box of 50 latex rubber gloves, cheap ins. @ $5.00
I use
http://www.por15direct.com/


Jim & Caroline
The highway is for gamblers, better use your good sense."
Gooday-that's my 1¢ answer due to the lousy economy ~ cause I ain't got - no . mo . doe

Every Shaver | Now Can Snore | Six More Minutes | Than Before ... | Half A Pound for Half a Dollar | Spread On Thin | Above the Collar || BURMA-SHAVE
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,723
J
24601
24601
J Offline
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,723
Be careful if you spray POR-15 -- You MUST use a respirator and be CAREFUL!!!

John


~ John

A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.

1949 Chevrolet 3804
In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum
1973 IH 1310 Dump
1963 Kaiser M38A1
2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie"
2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 375
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 375
John is absolutely right. I sprayed a frame in the open without a mask and spent the night in the hospital with pneumonia. That's some serious stuff. I try to brush it whenever I can.


Jerry Acheson
Indianapolis, IN
57 Chevy 3100
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 122
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 122
Jerry, I hope everything turns out alright for you. I did the same thing last summer when applying POR 15 using a faulty respirator and was in bad shape too. Sick for a week. My tongue and teeth were black. Make sure you wear gloves. I had also used a product called Chasis Saver. So far so good. I brushed it on.
BrianM

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 946
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 946
I definitely will not use POR-15, my life is worth more than my frame. I even use a respirator for sanding, that is how paranoid I am. Has anyone used Chassis Black?

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 113
R
Member
Member
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 113
I "believe" POR-15 contains isocyanate. It's really nasty stuff. I have heard half a dozen horror stories about paints with isocycanate that have pretty much scared me away from ever using anything with it. I did a little research and almost all body shops use an external air source for breathing when spraying paint with iso in it. Do a quick search on the net and you'll see what I mean. Most auto paint suppliers can provide you with a safety sheet with the paint and it will advise you as to what kind of breathing apparatus is required.

Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 454
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 454
POR 15 does indeed contain isocyanates. A simple organic filter mask is not sufficient protection, you must use an air supplied respirator. Here's a link to the POR 15 Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS)

Me, I painted my frame with XO Rust Red Metal Primer and XO Rust Satin Black from True Value hardware grin Hell, its just an old pickup truck and the original frame lasted 50 years with less protection than that. grin


Jeff Nelson

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin
"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest." - Mark Twain
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 164
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 164
Bolters,

Isocyanates is the single biggest reason you see few old painters. I know guys who are so sensitized to Isocyantes they can't walk down the sidewalk outside a body shop where Isos are being sprayed. Once lung tissue gets sensitized to it, it's over. Some take a long time to sensitize, some get down almost instantaneously.

Now no one wants to spout the fact that their product has Isos but I do think the coatings industry & dealers should do a better job of schooling customers.

Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,513
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,513
I'm with red58. I applied Zero-rust to the frame with a brush and sprayed the cab bottom and areas you can't see. It comes in spray cans too for touch ups instead of getting out the gun. It was super easy to use, available locally, and I will definitely use it again on my next project. I shot clearcoat over top of it on the inner tubs and they turned out great.

Curt B.


1952 1300 Canadian 1/2 ton restomod
You Tube
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 375
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 375
I use Eastwood's rust encapsulator now. It's much more freindly. I must admit though that I read the cautions from POR-15 and thought I'd be ok in the open air. I've brushed the stuff a few times since then and I still feel it if I use a lot of it. When I called them about my experience, they asked if I could read. Funny!


Jerry Acheson
Indianapolis, IN
57 Chevy 3100

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0