The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (Shade Baby, GMCJammer51, 2-Ton, 3800GUY, IHPWR, Jon G, Hush), 208 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,102
Posts1,056,185
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1191974 11/22/2016 6:56 PM
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 17
5
New Guy
New Guy
5 Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 17
53 3100 with a rebuilt 235. Manual choke, electronic ignition, Rochester 1 bbl carb. When starting cold it idles and runs like new. I can drive it about 10 miles and it will not idle. Just like you turned the key off at an intersection. It will instantly start up and run after that, but will not idle. I can let it cool down @ 10 minutes and it will idle fine. Any ideas? Thanks

Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 236
4
DLBrooks
DLBrooks
4 Offline
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 236
I take when it is cold you have the choke on or partially on. When choke is released--pushed in --- does it die? I would start with idle screw until it will idle --- and idle mixture screw may need adjustment. Start with idles mixture screw 1 1/2 turns out then adjust idle screw until it idles. Idle speed somewhere around 600.


1959 GMC 100 Fleet
Follow in the DITY
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 1,624
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 1,624
BTW....that's clockwise from 2-12 turns out. I do a 1/4 turn till it starts to bog down then counter clockwise.
I also would look for a vacuum leak if you have no luck with the idle air. At idle a vacuum leak is much more noticeable.

Last edited by beltfed; 11/23/2016 12:32 AM.

Six volt guy living in a twelve volt world
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,418
ODSS Lawman
ODSS Lawman
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,418
Hang on

Before you adjust yourself out of running, lets start with the basics.

First anytime an engine will not idle, vacuum leaks are first suspect. What have you done to find any? What approx. RPM is your idle set?

With cooler weather, it takes more time for these engines to run at idle correctly.


SWEET
Sergeant At Arms: Old Dominion Stovebolt Society
BUNS?!?!?!Where we're going, we don't need no buns.....
1950 GMC 450
1951 Chevy 1/2-Ton
The GreenMachine
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 17
5
New Guy
New Guy
5 Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 17
It will idle with the choke pushed in. It will idle well until I drive it @ 10 miles or so. I have not looked for vacuum leaks yet. With the electronic ignition, I don't think I have a vacuum advance, but I will look for vacuum leaks. I think idle rpm is 600-750. It idles great in the driveway, but after a short drive it won't. Thanks for the responses and I will check for vacuum leaks.

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
After running for 10 minutes will it idle with the choke partially out?


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 17
5
New Guy
New Guy
5 Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 17
I have not tried that. I will try and let you know.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0