Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,132 Posts1,056,385 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Nov 2016 Posts: 26 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2016 Posts: 26 | I's like to replace the mechanical (points) distributor on my '71 Vandura 250 engine. there are several options. What do you recommend? What would be involved? | | | | | Joined: Jan 2015 Posts: 914 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2015 Posts: 914 | Get an early HEI distributer pre ECM. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 5,223 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 5,223 | I agree with 32vid, get a HEI. Should be able to get one off e-bay pretty easy or possibly the salvage yard. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2016 Posts: 26 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2016 Posts: 26 | Do I need to pull other parts to go along with the distributor? | | | | | Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 1,094 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 1,094 | The coil if it doesn't have one in the dist cap. You will also need to run a wire from the ignition switch to the dist., think it's 8 or 10 gauge. When you get the dist out of the junk yard, clip the red wire that is connected to the cap and run that size wire from the switch to the dist.
Tommy 59 apache 1/2t 261 short stepside | | | | | Joined: Sep 2011 Posts: 2,951 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2011 Posts: 2,951 | I bought my HEI from Tom Langdon - Link to his website I had searched high and low for an HEI for an inline 6 at the salvage yard and got tired of looking and not finding one. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2016 Posts: 26 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2016 Posts: 26 | Yes, I know that item. That's the way I'll go. Be has a cast iron dual exhaust manifold as well, but I'd like to find actual headers for it. Should I buy his coil also? | | | | | Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 5,096 Crusing in the Passing Lane | | Crusing in the Passing Lane Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 5,096 | When you get an HEI distr. from a wrecking yord, make sure it is even fire, easily determine if terminals are evenly spaced around distr.
Ed
'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires. '47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle. '54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed. '55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2016 Posts: 26 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2016 Posts: 26 | | | |
| |