The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Gdads51, Hanks custodian, rfs56trk, tclederman), 94 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,132
Posts1,056,376
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1191601 11/19/2016 11:34 PM
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
Are there any tricks to making this job easier than it appears to be?
I have a 1956 261 engine in my 37 1/2 ton truck. The water pump is recessed into the block. This prohibits any normal type of radiator removal.
Has anyone ever removed the top of the radiator housing or radiator "surround" by drilling or removing the spot welds that hold the top of that unit on so that it can be removed thus opening the top for removal of the radiator. I think the reassembly could be done by using small screws and bolts - several on the right and left side of the top of the housing.
I probably haven't thought this through, but does anyone have any experience, an idea or thought with an approach to this issue? Thank you!


"Truckin' Around .......... Since 1937!"
My name is Joe and I am addicted to Classic Country Music. I just can't hep myself.
Operators are standing by to take your calls!
Now cruising in the Passing Lane
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,708
W
back yard wrench turner
back yard wrench turner
W Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,708
That's what I did with my '38.
I'm running a GMC 270 and had to mount the radiator to the front side of the cowl. I inserted the radiator after the front body cowl was installed.
I attached the top with screws.


Wayne
1938 1-Ton Farm Truck
Stovebolt Gallery Forums
1989 Silverado
1996 Mustang GT convertible
When I die, I hope she doesn't sell everything for what I told her I paid for it!

Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,223
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,223
The top on my surround was loose and screwed down when I purchased the truck. I repaired it by welding it back in place, I see now I should have left it alone.

Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,708
W
back yard wrench turner
back yard wrench turner
W Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,708
Here are closeup photos:
Notice how far forward the radiator is click

Here is another from the other side click

Notice the slits cut into the cowl. This is to let the radiator flange slip through.

I did have to shorten the top cover to fit in front of the radiator.
There are a few more photos in my bucket account.


Wayne
1938 1-Ton Farm Truck
Stovebolt Gallery Forums
1989 Silverado
1996 Mustang GT convertible
When I die, I hope she doesn't sell everything for what I told her I paid for it!


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0