The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (TooMany2count, tclederman, Gray_Ghost, 2 invisible), 85 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,132
Posts1,056,386
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1189899 11/07/2016 1:31 AM
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 265
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 265
I think I have finally found a body shop that will do the last bit of body and paint work on my 53 3100. He asked me if I wanted to pin stripe the wheels and the belt line of the cab? The truck is going to be Burgundy Maroon. That color calls for the color "Gold Bronze". The only information concerning a paint code for it, that I have been able to track down, is the Dupont color SM-61A. Has anybody used that color code to have any mixed up? Or, has anyone gone to the extent of having that code converted to something else that is workable? I have been able to track down all of the other colors that came on a stock truck. This is that last piece of the paint story puzzle. If any of you Bolters can help, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Rugo


Steve Rugg
53 3100
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 289
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 289
Rugo
GMC used a Gold Bronze pin stripe as well with their Narva Green body color. I am not sure if it is exactly the same color as Chevy used on their trucks. I had an opportunity to photograph an original paint, unrestored GMC truck that had the original pin stripe. (Unlike Chevrolet, GMC did not stripe the wheels.) 49 original paint As you can see, it is not a metallic paint.
In doing research I found that 1 Shot Lettering Enamel in 191-L Imitation Gold Imitation Gold came very close to matching the Gold Bronze used on the GMC trucks.
I had an old pin stripe guy do the stripe on my 52 GMC who was very familiar with the color stripes used on these trucks. He mixed up his own version of this Gold Bronze color but it is very close to 1 Shot's 191-L. 52 GMC stripe
If you are going to have someone hand paint the stripes I think they are probably going to want to do do it in these lettering enamels as they can be easily wiped off if they make a mistake. I hopes this helps.
Mike

Last edited by Huck; 11/07/2016 2:11 PM.
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 265
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 265
Mike,

Great information. Thanks for taking time to share your research. I especially appreciate the pictures. I am going to take your advice concerning the Lettering Enamel and paint color choice. When it comes right down to it, there was probably a number of different shades. The consistancy between factories was not an exact science. It is nice to see an orginal, actual Gold Bronze stripe on a truck though. At least we know we are in the ballpark.

Thanks Again,
Rugo


Steve Rugg
53 3100
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 544
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 544
Rugo,

Would it be possible to share color code/manufacturer and some photos of your truck in that Maroon? I am looking at the same color, just trying to get a good color maroon that I like. Thanks in advance! [email protected]


Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0