The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (klhansen, J Lucas, Peggy M, Otto Skorzeny), 96 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,088
Posts1,056,390
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 265
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 265
I'm thinking about using a spray on or roll on bedliner for the floor of my '50 GMC rather than a mat because I'd like to be able to hose it out without trapping the water under the mat and helping the floor rust out. Has anyone tried this?

Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 9
A
Junior Member
Junior Member
A Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 9
Did it to a 78 jeep wagon - applied 2 coats rolling it on. The more coats the more rigid or gritty surface. Great material for spraying out mud - dirt. Jeep was weekend mud machine. Had to coat kick panels and bed side as well.

Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 288
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 288
Great idea, I used the stuff on my 97 chevy pick up bed and was very impressed. Never thought to use it in the floor of the 55.1. Should work great to lock out rust and keep water away from metal. I would recommend the floor, plus the seat mount and also the kick panels and get up as high as you can on the fire wall.

-Chris


Chris 1955FirstSeries
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
4
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
It works pretty well for noise reduction too, but looks like tupperware and is unremovable. Just make sure you kill all the rust before application.


Paint & Body Shop moderator
A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 866
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 866
MY nephew just started a business of spraying on bed liner. He ripped the carpet out of his 05 jeep and sprayed the floor with the stuff. Waterproof seat covers, sprays the whole inside out after 4 wheelin. He has sprayed some unsual things and places in just a month of being in business. Has a choice of many colors and even can custom mix colors.

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 265
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 265
Thanks guys. I thought it would work but wanted to see if anyone else had tried it. I also drilled a couple of drain holes in the bottoms of the cab corners so hopefully this truck will be rust free in all of the normally rusted places.

Joined: May 2001
Posts: 709
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 709
Been there, done that, works great.
Did the entire floor, interior firewall and inside steps on the 59. What shows looks close to original, easy to clean and tough as nails. I used the Duplicolor roll-on and the spray for hard to reach areas. Available at WalMart in Qt and Gallon cans for the roll-on.


Bruce
Old Toy: Ol' Betsy stock 59 Apache SB Stepside (Gone but not Forgotten)
New Toy: 1962 Impala SS Coupe
The Driver: 1990 Toyota truck
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,682
F
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
F Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,682
A buddy of mine did the whole inside of his cargo van with the roll on stuff.. when it got dirty, he'd open the back doors, then sit in the cab with a hose and just spray away.

Tough as nails, looked real nice, i'll be using it for the cab floors of both my '46's.


an idea is only stupid if you think about it rationally.
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,067
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,067
I really like that idea too. I have a somewhat beat up bed because my truck was a work truck before I bought it. I knew I could straighten out dents and bondo skim coat the outside, but had thought about rhinolinering the inside of the bed...until I saw the stuff peeling off the bed of the truck at work. However, on an interior floor, I think it is a fantastic idea. Might even quiet it down a decibel or two.

I still don't know how I'll make the inside of my bed look good. I've seen diamond plate and wood panels done and look good, but I haven't decided. Have any of you seen any problems with the spray on bedliners peeling off in spots?


52 GMC 3/4 ton pickup
68 Big Block Vette
68 455 Firebird
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 24
K
Junior Member
Junior Member
K Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 24
My buddy did a home spray on for this 59 Chev
stepside...his took his time in preparation and
taping.... the results were fantastic...didn't know if I would like the look in an old truck...
... it looks fine...go for it..K

Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
I'm going to apply it to the under side of my cab and inner fender liners. Hopefully it will reduce noise and rock chips and wash off easily,
Scott


Scott Ward

2 1948 1.5-ton Loadmasters
The red one and The snow pusher
1 1950 3100
1 1955.1 Chevy 6500
1 1954 Chevy 6500 2-Ton
1 1955 1st Series COE 5700
1 1963 K20 (454)
1 1964 C10 (350)
1 1951 1.5-ton Dump Truck
1953 and a 1956 Ford F800

Raising a teenager is like trying to nail Jello to a tree!
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 990
A
Member
Member
A Offline
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 990
used it on the entire floor of my 47 cj2a. It was a multi patch mess and not only does it look better and cover a lot of sins, it should be easy to maintain. I used the duplicolor system and they sell you a spray gun that has a hose you put in the gallon can. Very easy to apply.

Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 328
H
Member
Member
H Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 328
48BIGTRUCKS, go down to wal-mart and get the undercoating spray can stuff. It's about $3.00 a can or so, and it's specifically made for the underside of your vehicle. I just finished doing the entire underside of my truck (which stinks cause it's a LWB :p ) and MAN is it quite! Still quite clean too, only dust, which will wash right off.

I think I'm gonna go get me that duplicolor stuff at wal-mart.


GO RANGERS grin
Photos Updated so check them out!
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 428
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 428
I used the Duplicolor roll-on product in the bed of my '70 C10. Put on 3 coats and it looks really good. I plan on using it on the cab floor as well and using rubber floor mats instead of carpet.


Ralph Davis
1970 Chevy C10 Webshots
My Stovebolt Gallery page

Old trucks never die, they just find a new home.
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 328
H
Member
Member
H Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 328
anybody have pics?


GO RANGERS grin
Photos Updated so check them out!
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
I was planning on using Line-x, or something like it for under my fenders, cab, and on the cab floor and inner firewall. I thought I would use some stick on insulation like Dynamat for the entire inside of the cab. Then the bed liner over it on the floor and firewall. Still thinking on it, but with the thin insulation, and some thick bed liner completely covering it, and sticking to the steel cab floor around the edges it should stay dry underneath, and be really really quiet. And if for some reason I want to remove it, it should be easier than if it were stuck right on the floor. I am also using a 4-53T Detroit engine, so anything I can do to reduce noise will be well worth it.


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0