Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
1 members (Eileen),
99
guests, and
3
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,079 Posts1,056,310 Members48,442 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 39 Apprentice | | Apprentice Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 39 | Gentlemen: I'm brand spanking new so, go easy on me! I've got a 52 P.U. The body is a great candidate for rodstoration. I'm in the process of chopping 3.5". The body has the usual rust in the usual areas. There is a powder coat shop around the corner and he says they'll bake off the paint, lightly blast the remaining hang ons and apply an epoxy type powder coat primer that I can leave out side (if I wanted to). Price example doors, fenders $100.00 ea or less if I bring him lotsa' parts.
Thoughts? Tom
1951 Chev.P.U. Streetrod-project 1951 Chev cpe 261 5-speed-50% 1953 Chev cpe 350/700-95% 1962 Chev Bubbletop 409 -75%
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | welcome to the bolt Tom, my thought is from the sound of it somebody won't be goin easy on ya "bake off the paint"?? like a car that's caught fire? can't imagine a powdercoat oven being able to strip paint, the powder places use sand blasting to get the clean metal needed to do their coatings, which DO NOT use a primer - powder coating is a process of depositing a color powder on an electrically charged piece of perfectly bare metal, then melting that powder in an oven - and what does "lightly blast" mean? epoxy priming is the way to go if you're going to leave it out, but sounds like you should find a body shop to discuss it with, especially if there's ANY rust involved Bill | | | | | Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 39 Apprentice | | Apprentice Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 39 | red58: Obviously, I did not explain myself too well. Before the guys applies the powder coat epoxy primer, he bakes the body part in a large container which, removes most of the existing paint. Then he lightly "sandblasts" whatever is remaining which removes the rust as well and then does the epoxy powder coat thing.
Make sense?????? Tom
1951 Chev.P.U. Streetrod-project 1951 Chev cpe 261 5-speed-50% 1953 Chev cpe 350/700-95% 1962 Chev Bubbletop 409 -75%
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | you explained it well enuff that I think you're being misled and that maybe you don't understand what they're offering - "epoxy powder coat thing" doesn't sound like something I'd find available anywhere I'm familiar w/ the powder coat process [which is really paint minus the liquid] and their ovens [3-400 deg], and that they may use phosphate coatings between stripping and electrostaticly covering w/ powder, but there is no primer involved and epoxy primered materials cannot be powder coated, so they're offering something totally seperate from the powder coating process - like I said, you need to dicuss price w/ a couple body shops and see what the range is for paint and rust removal and true epoxy priming, and find out if any professional metal worker thinks an oven will remove much paint, or that any kind of coating done w/ the powder coat process could act like a primer and be painted over - powder coating can't be painted Bill | | | | | Joined: Oct 2004 Posts: 128 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2004 Posts: 128 | On the TV show Rides, Rad Rods by Troy had a Challenger/Cuda powder coat primed on the underside of the floorpan and maybe the interior. It's been awhile so I can't remember for sure. Their claims were it is more durable and rust resistant than any paint on the market. I can't remember if it was topcoated though. So, powder coat priming is being done, but I don't know any more than that. Google Rad Rods by Troy, or Troy Trapanier in Manteno IL. Look for the mopar built for Joe Rogin of Fear Factor, there might be some more info there. John | | | | | Joined: May 2004 Posts: 351 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: May 2004 Posts: 351 | I had my frame zinc powder coated before the color coat went on. That was an additional $275. (Total was $825).The idea is that it creates another barrier against rust. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 975 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 975 | December 30, my truck goes in for Powder. Frame and most of the items you can't see, like inner fender walls, radiator baffles, radiator support, support rod and a pile of other parts will be blasted, zinc treated and then powdered for $850 to $950. For the amount of stuff I plan to do, I did not think that was too bad. The only body panels I plan to do are the running boards. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2002 Posts: 1,571 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2002 Posts: 1,571 | There are at least two types of powder coat - the plastic polyester/nylon types and the epoxy types (which are much more heat resistant when cured). Plenty of info out there on the web. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 67 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 67 | When i worked in a switchboard manufacturing shop they powdercoated all their boards. i,ve never seen or heard of cooking the paint off. I sandblasted all my parts with great care. The trick is to use fine blasting sand so you don,t get a high profile ( not too rough ) Brendon | | | | | Joined: May 2004 Posts: 351 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: May 2004 Posts: 351 | I was also told that the epoxy based PC was much more durable when it came to areas that might be exposed to drivetrain fluids. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 39 Apprentice | | Apprentice Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 39 | Well, it's been a while since I was here. I'm picking up a new cab and will drive it by the powdercoater for a quote and a description of what he told me before. Maybe I misheard and I will report back.
Thanks for your inputs. Tom
1951 Chev.P.U. Streetrod-project 1951 Chev cpe 261 5-speed-50% 1953 Chev cpe 350/700-95% 1962 Chev Bubbletop 409 -75%
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 4,252 "Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!! | | "Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!! Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 4,252 | Hey Pacifica!!!!! Used to have family there two blocks up from the pier, caddy corner to the treatment plant! I miss that place!!
Back on topic, would like to hear a follow up! | | |
| |