The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Southerntruck, CandoBrent, 2-Ton, 59 fleet, MikeE), 127 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,128
Posts1,056,661
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1185241 10/03/2016 1:36 AM
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 301
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 301
Curious what other guys are doing when it comes time to gas up your truck. Mine is a 49' 3600 with the stock gas tank and the new pumps at the station push gas so fast it immediately blows back and kicks off. I have to pulse the trigger about a tenth or two of a gallon at a time.

Last edited by bztguy; 10/03/2016 1:36 AM.

1949 Chevy 3600
1975 W-25 Hurst Olds
1970 GMC 1/2 ton Fleetside
2010 Chevy Silverado
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
Fought that problem with police cars all the time. Poor tank venting is the issue. Had some success by turning the nozzle 180 degrees (handle up instead of down) and use slowest setting. Move it around til you find the sweet spot.


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,214
V
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
V Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,214
I generally use 2 or 3 stations for fuel and I don't have any problems with using the lowest setting and having the nozzel backed out to the last nozzel keeper resting against the edge of the filler tube where the gas cap secures.

In reading this after I typed it, it almost doesn't make any sense, but as previously posted there is a sweet spot but you've got to back the nozzel out as far as is safe to do and use the lowest setting.

Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,294
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,294
I haven't had that problem with the two 3100's I have driven. Either we have slow pumps around here or some of you have mud daubers in your overflow pipes.


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 201
I
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
I Offline
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 201
I usually just stand there and hold the handle half open and the usually works pretty good


Stovebolter -- the Next Generation
(I'm 20)

1941 Chevy 1/2-ton pickup
"Lucy"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket

1967 Ford Mustang - "Sally"
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,038
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,038
I am with 52 Carl. I drove 2500 miles in my '51 half ton on a trip from AZ to MO a year ago to Kansas City, and never had a problem filling up at any gas station. I just set the handle at max and let it rip. I also have a '42 half ton and have filled it up at various stations in AZ without a problem.

Now my brand new 2015 Silverado is a different issue. Couldn't even fill it at all. Turned out the vent hose was kinked from the factory!

Check your vent hose and see if you have a problem there.
Kent


1937 Chevy 1/2 ton
1942 Chevy 1/2 ton
1947 Diamond T Model 509
1951 Chevy 1/2 ton
1950 Chevy COE Model 5700 ~ "Barney" ~ And more pix
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,611
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,611
Counter to logic, I have most success filling my 41 by inserting the nozzle as far into the neck as possible. It will spit back if otherwise.


1941 Chevy 1 1/2-ton WW2 4x4 dump truck
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Lots more pictures
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 301
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 301
I've tried with the nozzel all the way in ,all the way out, but not turned at different angles. It's a fresh restoration and the vent tube is new, replaced it myself. We must have cursed gas pumps in Illinois. Maybe they pump faster so we don't have to stand in the cold so long in the winter! lol I just had to toss that in there since all of you that replied are in warmer climates! I'm an hour from the Wisconsin border.


1949 Chevy 3600
1975 W-25 Hurst Olds
1970 GMC 1/2 ton Fleetside
2010 Chevy Silverado
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,294
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,294
They probably hope you spill most of it so you have to buy more of it. smile


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0