Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,089 Posts1,056,439 Members48,443 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 481 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 481 | Wanted to remove the pilot bushing from my 235 I am cleaning up for my '58 Apache, but could not get the bearing removal tool, I rented from a local auto parts store, to fit inside the bearing. Scratching my head, I resorted to the Internet and of course, YouTube.
Found 2 or 3 videos where guys used wet paper and a bolt to drive the wet paper into the space behind the bushing and the back of the crankshaft. Didn't put much credence in this working, but what the heck.
It worked! The pressure created by continuing to pack this space with wet paper forces the bushing out of the camshaft. You can actually see the bushing slowly coming out. Of course my engine is out of the truck, with the clutch, flywheel, bell housing, etc. not yet installed, and the engine is supported on a wooden frame/stand that sits low to the floor.
I was amazed and have shared this with my 'go-to-guy' at the local auto store where I rented the tool that would not work.
Any other bolters ever removed a pilot bushing this way? | | | | | Joined: Aug 2000 Posts: 1,438 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2000 Posts: 1,438 | I've used heavy grease and the alignment tool in the same manner. Worked great.
Dennis
40 Chevy 1/2 ton
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 481 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 481 | Dennis,
I'm curious. Was your engine also out of your vehicle when you did this?
John | | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,828 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,828 | The simple way is to screw a big threading tap into the bushing. When it bottoms out against the crankshaft, keep turning and the tap jackscrews the bushing out. I think a 5/8" tap works, either coarse or fine thread. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 481 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 481 | Good morning Jerry. Hope you are doing well.
Using the tap was certainly a possibility and would have definitely worked. I was trying to salvage the bushing in this case. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2000 Posts: 1,438 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2000 Posts: 1,438 | Yes, the engine was in.
Dennis
40 Chevy 1/2 ton
| | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 . | | . Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 | All good methods and they'll all work in or out of the truck just the same. Here's another, a tapered screw deal with a grease fitting. A grease gun provides the hydraulic pressure to jack it out. Made by Lisle, part number 55600 https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41nIMXvRKdL.jpg | | | | | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 53 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 53 | I did the same thing DennisM did. Heavy grease and a wooden dowel sanded down to fit in the bushing I ended up wrapping masking tape on the end of the dowel to get the fit just right. Add a bunch of grease to the ID of the bearing. Insert dowel and tap end with a hammer, keep adding grease as needed.
Worked great !
Clem 59 Chevy 3600 New Hampshire
| | |
| |