The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
8 members (John Dlugos, rfs56trk, BCBill, Otto Skorzeny, Dusty53, Buckeye998, Chip O, WICruiser), 183 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,101
Posts1,056,172
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1184091 09/25/2016 12:31 AM
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
The Suburban ran great last night after I got the old fuel out of it. It ran great this morning going to town. Then coming home it took some intermittent sputtering spells Then it started losing power on the same stretch of road where it started when I had the old gas in it.

Now I'm thinking I have a loose terminal somewhere in the ignition system. Or maybe the Pertronix unit is playing tricks on me. Anyone ever had one flutter before dying?

What else should I be looking at?


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,384
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,384
Vapor lock? Fuel supply problem? got a filter or glass fuel pump you can jump out to check when it happens?

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Maybe water in the tank from the corn squeezeins!


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 107
2
'Bolter
'Bolter
2 Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 107
I had the coil wire to my distributor come loose one time and it would randomly bounce around and be an intermittent connection. It was somewhat held in place by the boot and looked ok, but was really not secure in the socket and was probably moving around from the fan wash at speed. Maybe check all the plug wires?


1946 Chevy Pictures
1946 Chevrolet 2-ton. In family since new. Splash oiled 235, 4 speed main, 3 speed aux, single speed 6.17 rear. Original GM supplied 12' stake bed, paint on sideboards is still from the factory.
Ride Along Video!
Ride Along with a little load
Video Channel
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
I took the Suburban for a test run today to try to duplicate the problem. It ran great for 40 miles. Have no idea if/when it will screw up again.

Before I left I checked over all ignition and plug wires. No loose connection. I ran some fine sandpaper over the rotor contacts but I don't think it needed it.

My theory now is there was still some moisture in the tank after I pumped out all the pick up would reach. While sloshing around in the tank while on the highway some of it gets sloshed up into the pick up. Sound possible?

Seems like I have read of a product that will absorb moisture in a tank and make it harmless. Anyone know what it would be?


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 899
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 899
Sta-bil is one such product that has been around for quite a while. Readily available at flaps, Walmart etc.


Ed
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,901
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,901
When I lived in upstate NY the winter of 86 everybody used isoprol alcohol.
1pint/tank
Every tank from the really cheap stations.


Give me ambiguity
or give me something else
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,799
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,799
SeaFoam has enough alcohol in it to absorb moisture, or you could just go to your friendly local drug store and get a couple of pints of 91% rubbing alcohol for somewhat less money. Either one will de-water the fuel tank.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
methyl hydrate [methanol] is a gas line antifreeze, neutralizes water - found as thinner for shellac

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,901
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,901
Post time 3:21
A tie for the same solution ? chug


Give me ambiguity
or give me something else
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Thanks for the replies. I'm going to take it to town to the car wash later. I'll pick up a couple of bottles of rubbing alcohol while in town and give that a try.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
You can get a product called HEET at your local FLAPS. Removes water from the tank. Been around for years.


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
I poured a quart of 91% rubbing alcohol in it this afternoon. Now it has 'til Sunday to work it's magic before I drive it to Fort Worth for a show.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Gonna have trouble keeping it between the lines?


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893
W
Socket Breaker
Socket Breaker
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893
Let us know what works. grin

-W

Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
OK, made the show in Fort Worth today with no problems. Truck ran like it should. A little over 100 miles round trip. The rubbing alcohol must have done the trick. Thanks for the hot tip, guys.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
Interesting to me that the often maligned as evil, alcohol, was the cure for your problem. I have no doubt that it did solve the problem. Alcohol has been sold for decades as a water eliminator in gasoline.


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
I think it was the fuel, maybe time and your filter will tell. They used to sell a water atomizer to install into carb to give more Ooompf. Go figure. I think it's more the fact you are running it. Also I used to use Isopropyl Alcohol in cars that could not pass emissions and then they did. Either way, glad it runs good, hope it stays that way. Pour some Sta-Bil in if not driving much. Don't tell us what you did with the old fuel.


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,799
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,799
"There's no fuel like an old fuel!" Everybody knows that!
grin
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
"A little moonshine for me- a little for the motor...a little for me- a little for the motor, a little for me- a little for me"...


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,799
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,799
The oldtime dirt track racers who came to Nashville from Chattanooga over in the east Tennessee mountains used to have a saying: "A race car needs water and alcohol- - - - -water in the radiator and alcohol in the driver!"
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0