Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,128 Posts1,056,661 Members48,450 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Sep 2016 Posts: 61 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2016 Posts: 61 | I have the chance to buy 49 3100 with a dump bed, a southwest truck, great patina, little to no rust-except western rust :-), all original, no wrecks, not running, original 6cyl in it, all pieces there, they are wanting $5000 for it, good price? I can't seem to find any info out there for a dump bed option on this year? Do you have any suggestions? Thanks for any feedback. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 7,441 Bolter | | Bolter Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 7,441 | 3100 w/dump bed. Not a factory original truck. Some owner decided that would be a cool thing to ad to his truck and did so. $5000 for a non running 1/2 ton would be a bit on the high side around these parts. Maybe around $3000 if it is really nice.
Martin '62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress) '47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project) ‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily) ‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence) “I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one! Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop! USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 6,223 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 6,223 | A 1/2 ton short bed with a dump body won't have much of a payload capacity, the weight of the hoist takes alot of that away. Is the dump body the original pickup box or something custom made? Mike B  | | | | | Joined: Apr 2004 Posts: 5,089 Authorized Pest | | Authorized Pest Joined: Apr 2004 Posts: 5,089 | We have dump bed on our ... oh can I say it, Ford 350 (it was GIVEN TO US  ). It was our first truck with a dump bed and it was a great Farmdawg. That was early on. When we started to move dirt, mulch, compost, firewood and the like ... as Mike said, the truck couldn't handle it very well. I'll leave John to say more. But I agree with Mike B ... is cool to have but I think if you are looking for something practical because you need a "dump" ... buy a dump trailer! On the price, too ... I'd say too high. Doing these Gallery stories, folks have been picking up trucks that are "all there" and running for less. Wonder why the PO put a dump on it?
Last edited by Peggy M; 09/04/2016 6:00 PM.
~ Peggy M 1949 Chevrolet 3804"Charlie" - The Stovebolt FlagshipIn the Gallery"We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give." -- Winston Churchill | | | | | Joined: Nov 1995 Posts: 5,729 24601 | | 24601 Joined: Nov 1995 Posts: 5,729 | Have to agree with all above. The dump body and mechanism alone probably exceeds the weight capacity of a half ton. If you then actually loaded it (and the frame didn't instantly snap), you would have a vehicle that would be dangerously overloaded and a hazard to others.  John
~ John A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult. 1949 Chevrolet 3804In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum1973 IH 1310 Dump1963 Kaiser M38A12001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie"2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley) | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,983 Sir Searchalot | | Sir Searchalot Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,983 | If you ever did find out it was a factory option, it would be a rare find. Also, if you want to haul a 1/2 ton of stuff and want to dump it instead of shoveling it, no problem. If you have a business that needs a dump truck, this ain't it. I'm assuming a dump kit was added to a stock bed? I've seen those but not 1/2T. $5000 too much. Patina is another word for rusty surface metal and needs a paint job. The dump kits are about $1500 and add about 250 lbs. 12V electric/hydraulic, Includes: pump, cylinder, hardware. Peg's idea of a dump trailer is a good one. Then buy a stock 49 to pull it. You will then have a daily driver not a daily headache. Also there is no forum for 1/2T dumps, so you won't be able to post anymore If some kind of honker heavy bed was put on and the added mechanism, better calculate the total load on the rear axle and frame as others have said. If it's a cobbed up Mad Max War Wagon, $1000.(including patina) P.S. IMO: Motor not running is not a huge deal. The multitude of other problems that hides, is a big deal. Transmission, rear end, steering, brakes, suspension, Ujoints, gas tank, dump mechanism, wipers, gauges, heater, radiator, electrical, all bearings...none can be tested at speed/under load/under pressure, etc. $$$$$$$$$$$$$
Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn | | | | | Joined: Sep 2016 Posts: 61 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2016 Posts: 61 | Here is pictures of what it looks like? Google drive if you can see these Pics
Last edited by cletis; 09/05/2016 4:32 AM. Reason: repaired link
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 2,989 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 2,989 | We have dump bed on our ... oh can I say it, Ford 350 (it was GIVEN TO US  ). Go ahead and say it Peg. I've got a F-350 with a dump bed that was given to me also! | | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 7,441 Bolter | | Bolter Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 7,441 | After seeing photos, I say again, not worth $5000 by any stretch of the imagination. Something of that nature around here would be about $1500 to $1800 dollars. JMO
Martin '62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress) '47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project) ‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily) ‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence) “I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one! Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop! USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)
| | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,983 Sir Searchalot | | Sir Searchalot Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,983 | It does look pretty clean. It would be nice if you took pictures of the whole truck as well as close ups of sections. Can't get of feel for it the way you took pics. Dump parts look original period possibly. Kind of a neat truck. Looks solid and complete. He is NOT a motivated seller at $5k. Hard to deal with that.
Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn | | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 2,832 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 2,832 | Would love to have a truck in that good of shape come in the shop--if it matches the pictures. Dash is original and unmolested, firewall has no extra holes and truck may have never had a heater since I see no holes in the firewall insulator pad. Grill, bumper, body panels all look primo. Check cab corners, floor board, toe board, kick panels for rust and cowl for door grooves in the vent louvers. If all is good then it has what would take 3 or 4 thousand in parts and labor to get a rough, rusty one to that stage. If not all good then half the asking price would be in range. I once bought a 40 Ford coupe for $650 that was rusted and looked like it had been in a demolition derby while a friend paid $6500 for a sure enough clean body only. By the time I got mine in a condition that matched his I had the $6500 plus $3500 more in it and I do all my own work. As far as the dump, it means nothing and might even detract from it's value.
Evan
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2016 Posts: 61 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2016 Posts: 61 | Yes, he is not a motivated seller, owns a body shop, he has about 12 trucks of varying stages, and varying years around this model.... thanks for all the feedback. Trucks like this in this area fetch a hefty price, even with more cancer. That's why I was thinking 5 k was a little high just not that high... especially when you see all the original components it still has and has not been picked apart. All those original parts would easily cost 5k if you had to source them I think | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,983 Sir Searchalot | | Sir Searchalot Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,983 | I agree with you mostly and coilover has good advice. I first thought the same as Coilover about the dump. But now that I see it and that they used the stock bed and it's era looking, I like it. Sometimes weird stuff like that appeals to me and sometimes not. I think it's worth examining the way they did it and how stock it "looks". I agree the truck is in good shape. Price is subjective especially in this case. It would be fun to restore and show off the tilt bed. Especially keeping the old looking hydraulics and hardware. My comments are subject to: IF the original bed was used and sits normal. I am also thinking that if this was modified back in the day by a professional, it is a one of a kind and could be valuable. I can't dismiss it from what I see. I will never know for sure because I have to see it in person and see how it hits me. Pictures do lie. As an old truck it IS in good shape, but remember what I said about not running. Do a Benjamin Franklin list.
Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn | | | | | Joined: Sep 2016 Posts: 61 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2016 Posts: 61 | What is a Benjamin Franklin list? | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,983 Sir Searchalot | | Sir Searchalot Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,983 | Write down Pros in one column, Cons in another. Then weigh the good and not so good reasons for buying....or any decision.
Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn | | | | | Joined: Sep 2016 Posts: 61 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2016 Posts: 61 | Thanks, never heard it called that | | |
| |