The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (wilbur53, burgundybolt, Jack Ryan, 1 invisible), 86 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,086
Posts1,056,331
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1180557 08/31/2016 2:44 AM
Joined: May 2014
Posts: 44
5
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
5 Offline
Joined: May 2014
Posts: 44
I have a 51 3100 that I am anxious to get going. I was planning on putting in an Okie bushing while I have the propeller shaft separated from the transmission. However there does not seem to be any available.
There does not appear to be any play in the shaft so I am wondering if I even need an Okie. Can anyone tell me how to determine if the bushing needs to be replaced. Thanks!

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
If you have no play, the bushing is most likely good.

If you have no leakage (front to rear, most likely), the seal is most likely good.

People usually install an Okie bushing (when available) when they have one of the above problems/symptoms.

Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,146
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,146
Read HERE under.
Inspection
1. Check clearance between propeller shaft and its bushing.
Note: If this clearance exceeds .010" the bushing and oil seal should be replaced.

The thing is the propeller shaft may be worn too.
So replacing with the original bushing might not solve the clearance issue.

With the Oike bushing, the propeller shaft will ride on a different unworn spot.
Check out my Okie Bushing Photo Album

Also check out C h e v r o L E E, for Bushing Dimensions.

Vintage Auto Parts, Inc. might have Okie bushings in stock if you need one.
They call them Driveshaft Bushings and Seal Assemblies

jorb #1180585 08/31/2016 12:31 PM
Joined: May 2014
Posts: 44
5
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
5 Offline
Joined: May 2014
Posts: 44
Exactly the info I needed! Thanks guys!


Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0