Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,100 Posts1,056,513 Members48,448 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Aug 2011 Posts: 22 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2011 Posts: 22 | Hello My name is Steve, and I am an addict. I am addicted to old trucks. One day while riding along, a 1 1/2 ton, 48 chevy truck followed me home, it was so ugly, that I knew no one could love as I do, so I decided to keep it. Now, I am trying to gussy her up a little, so they don't railroad me out of town, but, I have ran into a problem. I am replacing the right door latch, and I can't get the door handle off the inside of the door. Any help is appreciated. This is embarrassing, as I have called myself a truck mechanic for 40 years. Thanks Steve | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,983 Sir Searchalot | | Sir Searchalot Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,983 | Set screw, right under where lever meets hub of handle
Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn | | | | | Joined: Aug 2011 Posts: 22 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2011 Posts: 22 | Thanks Bartamos, I removed the setscrew, and everything is still solid. I guess I will have to pry on a little harder. Thanks again Steve
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 | Steve,
See if there is another inner smaller diameter set-screw under an outer set screw. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2011 Posts: 99 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2011 Posts: 99 | Definitely two set screws. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2011 Posts: 22 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2011 Posts: 22 | Thanks everybody. I feel as dumb as a brick. I didn't look behind the 1st set screw. Thanks again. Steve | | | | | Joined: Dec 2015 Posts: 2,063 Big Bolt Forum Moderator | | Big Bolt Forum Moderator Joined: Dec 2015 Posts: 2,063 | Don't feel bad, normally, you would not stack set screws or think to look. I wonder if they added a 2nd one to lock the first one in?, | | | | | Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall | | Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 | Mike, I think they did. The constant winding of the handle would cause the inner screw to come loose and the handle would either spin or fall off......yep, happened to me a few times. Seems I could never get the inner one tight enough. I once put a little locktite on it.....and trying to drill a little hole for the first screw to set into is a pain and almost impossible!!
I think all the original inner screws all had a "smaller" tip on them but I have seen/used quite a few new ones that are not that way........all of this is my opinion. No documentation. | | |
| |