| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,103 Posts1,056,534 Members48,448 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Sep 2004 Posts: 201 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2004 Posts: 201 | Hey all! I got a 1955.2 GMC 2 ton. Had a 270 inline 6 and going to put in a 350 vortec V8. Would a crossmember from a catalog work? Or would someone have V8 motor mounts from an original Chevy V8 2 ton they would sell? | | | | | Joined: Dec 2015 Posts: 2,063 Big Bolt Forum Moderator | | Big Bolt Forum Moderator Joined: Dec 2015 Posts: 2,063 | crossmember from a catalog should work, if your engine has the bolt holes on the front, you can get reproduction original style front mounts online (have seen them on Ebay).
I was thinking abouth that same swap today while driving my 58 2-ton to Eastern, Wa (Omak). to pick up another cab. Mine got a 327 put in it at some point in the past, it is a bit under powered I think, and only got about 7.5 mpg today. Would be interested in seeing what you get with a newer engine! | | | | | Joined: Sep 2004 Posts: 201 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2004 Posts: 201 | I have a 4L80E trans hooked up to the vortec. I think I might have to cut out the crossmember. But if that catalog V8 crossmember will work then I think I will just get that. I have a 1999 Isusu NPR HD that I got the motor from and axles. So I can have disk brakes, PS, PB, A/C and so on. The NPR had the same bolt pattern as the GMC. I will be swapping the axles this weekend. Are you running your stock trans? | | | | | Joined: Sep 2004 Posts: 201 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2004 Posts: 201 | What's the ranger over drive? | | | | | Joined: Dec 2015 Posts: 2,063 Big Bolt Forum Moderator | | Big Bolt Forum Moderator Joined: Dec 2015 Posts: 2,063 | the link is in my post above. It goes between the bellbousing and tranny. Moves your tranny back 7". I am kind of leaning that route although it will probably be a ways down the road, after I figure out whether to rebuild the 327 or go with a bit more cubes. I may build a 350 but need to see what kind of RPM I'l be spinning. I like the shorter stroke of the 327 for spinning higher RPM but would like the longer stroke (torque) of a 350 | | | | | Joined: Apr 2001 Posts: 199 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2001 Posts: 199 | I have a 4L80E trans hooked up to the vortec. I think I might have to cut out the crossmember. But if that catalog V8 crossmember will work then I think I will just get that. I have a 1999 Isusu NPR HD that I got the motor from and axles. So I can have disk brakes, PS, PB, A/C and so on. The NPR had the same bolt pattern as the GMC. I will be swapping the axles this weekend. Are you running your stock trans? Make sure you do not use your old wheels with the npr lug nuts. They are a ball seat and your wheels are taper seat. I switched the studs to an American thread so I could use the correct lug nuts. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2004 Posts: 201 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2004 Posts: 201 | Very interesting! Never seen one before! | | | | | Joined: Dec 2015 Posts: 2,063 Big Bolt Forum Moderator | | Big Bolt Forum Moderator Joined: Dec 2015 Posts: 2,063 | Very interesting! Never seen one before! I had not seen that before and saw it mentioned in another thread on this site. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2004 Posts: 201 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2004 Posts: 201 | I got a crossmember ordered . Should arrive this week. Should fit. Said its adjustable for different widths. | | |
| |
| |