The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Roy Rodgers, Oswald, Brian Moore), 124 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,279
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#117879 10/07/2005 1:30 PM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 29
L
Junior Member
Junior Member
L Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 29
I have about a dozen rust through holes about the size of a pencil eraser in the beltline of my '49 GMC cab. I've not found anyone making a beltline patch panel and the only body shop in my small town proposed using a bondo type material to repair the rusted out holes. Am I correct in thinking I should avoid this bondo type repair or has this material improved since I last used it in the 50's & '60's ?


Mike
'27 Chevy
'41 John Deere B
'49 GMC
#117880 10/07/2005 6:29 PM
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
I'm no expert but in my opinion, a cab that is that far gone is beyond repair. With that many holes outside the seam I doubt the rust inside the seam could ever be stopped.

Maybe an expert can prove me wrong.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
#117881 10/16/2005 5:09 AM
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 641
3
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
3 Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 641
i had a cab that was rusted under the windshield around the middle vent it was much easier to find a better cab then to think about fixing it the kiss of death!!!

#117882 10/16/2005 11:19 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Of the truck is just going to be a driver for you then I would suggest welding up the holes using some copper backing material, Grind them down and make do with what you have. It may not be perfect but it will look fine.


Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0