The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (Forty9, CandoBrent, MikeStone1953, MickeyP, Guitplayer, 50Chevy3100), 159 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,106
Posts1,056,211
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1177887 08/12/2016 10:49 PM
Joined: Nov 2015
Posts: 40
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Nov 2015
Posts: 40
As a follow up to "is my rear end junk?" post...It was and I found a replacement 1954 rear end that already had the 3.55:1 gears...BONUS! But I have to use my 1940 torque tube and third member with the 54 banjo housing and aftermarket ring and pinion gears. The trouble is, I don't have the instructions that come with the gears when you buy them. I have read all of the available tech tips and my 1940 shop manual and I am confident of all of the steps except shimming the pinion shaft. How do I determine the proper shims? is it strictly bluing? And is it only after setting the backlash or is there a preliminary check that I can make to get it close? surly the shims will have a huge effect on the backlash.

Thanks, John

Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,216
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,216
1954 manual,
http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/shop/1954truck/54ctsm0406.html

The shims set the pinion depth, so the first install is a test to see if you need to raise or lower the pinion in relation to the ring gear. Depth is related to tooth pattern. If the pinion is not marked ( the late model ones are ), then install thin one and set up the whole assembly and check the tooth pattern. Be sure to tighten all the bolts and nuts, set back lash, and bearing preload. If the tooth pattern is off, then you need to remove or add shims to correct it.

The '54 manual should tell you which way to adjust the shims for the pattern you get. For that matter, about manual should have tooth patterns in it, and the newer ones probably have better pictures.

Joe

Joined: Nov 2015
Posts: 40
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Nov 2015
Posts: 40
Thanks Joe,

That's a lot more info then what's in my my 40 manual which doesn't have pictures of the gear contact pattern. I think I can picture it but would like to see photos if anyone has any.

Nice 37. Do you have a write up on your restoration?

John

Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,146
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,146
Here is GM film strip photos of a 1952 Chevrolet Rear Axle Overhaul
for the passenger car and 1/2 ton truck.
The film strips were used by GM Dealer Mechanics.

Here is one of the photos showing the correct Tooth Pattern on the ring gear.
Good stuff.

Joined: Nov 2015
Posts: 40
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Nov 2015
Posts: 40
That is awesome! Thanks Jorb.

Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 246
Z
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Z Offline
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 246
There are video`s on YouTube showing the rebuild of differentials....The one that I just recently watched was from " ERIC THE CAR GUY" Very informative.
He explained the pinion shimming and showed it being installed.
I highly recommend seeing it. I believe he was working on some 80`s Ford...
but the process is the same...


1953 chevy 1/2 ton with 3 speed 318 on floor and 1955 235 engine

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0