Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,116 Posts1,056,637 Members48,450 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Nov 2014 Posts: 623 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2014 Posts: 623 | Back in January I had a problem with one of my tail lights having a gremlin. I tried chasing it down, then just went ahead and bought a new tail light reproduction from Classic Parts. I hesitate to buy any chrome or stainless steel trim from them due to the many problems I've had with those, especially chrome with the "fast rusting additive" that seems to be used (I know, it's just a cheap, bad chrome job). Anyway, when I put the new one on, I posted the bad crimping done where the lens frame covers it, but I also chrome polished and then waxed it to hopefully keep rust at bay. The other day I washed the truck and noticed a half dozen or more spots that wouldn't wash off. After only 5 months of daylight, I'm getting rust on the top of the housing. The old one (and the drivers side light) were both used, but not rusted. And I'm pretty sure they were reproductions, since I got more than a few extra old ones in my 'extras' tubs. I know with a little time spent that CP will (should) replace it, but it's just the idea that it didn't even last 6 months that gets to me. Honestly, since I found it just needed a ground wire added, I'm probably going to put my old one back on. I definitely don't want to change yet another tail light another 5 months down the road. Is there anywhere that doesn't sell the same Taiwanese grade repros, are do they all come from the same hut in China? I just hope that front bumper I just put on lasts years instead of months. OK, that's the end of The Grouch's Soapbox. Now go out and polish that nice chrome of yours! 
"When I rest, I rust" 1951 3100 5 window w/ '56 235
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall | | Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 | It may be a "cost" to you but I'd send it back registered mail, signature required with a "nice" letter. Remember, we catch more flies with honey than vinegar. However, be firm. This should not happen as you took precautions against such deteriation. We, as a community let our voice be heard. At least they should replace it even though it may not be any better. THEN they should send it back to where they purchased it. Its called the "journey upstream" and can, at times, be beneficial. I have did exactly what I've mentioned and it has paid off. Replacement or credit. You may want to mention both in your return letter. Otherwise, it will NEVER get better.
...I was in nickel/copper/chrome plating for 13 year and can tell you they did not PLATE it...merely FLASHED it in the chrome bath. Nuff said....and yes, I've had dealings with the same company over two of their own parts that would not fit together!
Thank you for your information... and for speaking up. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2013 Posts: 1,084 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2013 Posts: 1,084 | Thanks for posting so we can consider other vendor options. Hopefully a one off, but others pipe in if had same experience.
Allen Yeah, well, that's just like, you know , your opinion, man - The Dude
1948 Chevy 3600 - goal Original restoration, Current Stage 1 - Disassembly and getting body in primer 1954 GMC 3100 goal Hot Rod, Current Stage 1 - Get body in primer 1931 Ford Model A 5 window Coupe - Old Skool Hot Rod 1945 Ford 2N Tractor - Runs great 1964 Ford 2000 Tractor - Use it every week 1974 Stingray Corvette
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2012 Posts: 13 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2012 Posts: 13 | We are having similar problems with chrome here in New Zealand also. It may be because to pay for a top quality chrome job is beyond many people's budget. In my case, I decided to make my own polished stainless front bumper. Turned out pretty well, and the shiny wont ever peel off. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2014 Posts: 623 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2014 Posts: 623 | Achipmunk- I used the 'live chat' yesterday to talk to Adam while I was on their site, and he asked me to send him a picture or two. It was pouring down rain here, so I haven't made it back to him yet, but that's a very good idea about getting credit instead. I've had chrome signal light bezel screws start to rust within weeks (they sell s.s. bezels, but cheap screws- bought some ss at a local hardware store), and a rear view mirror and the front fog lamp chrome that the PO bought shortly before I got it from him are both looking like they've been out in a field for a couple of decades. There are a few other things that I can't remember right now to add to that list that I've gotten there. Then there's the stainless door panel trim and windshield trim that were so sloppily cut it was sad, and the door panel trim was also bent too big for my original door panels. I know it's not the company's work, because they've all been labeled with the same company name and 'made in Thailand' stickers, but a few times the CP reps really had an attitude about how they knew it fit "because they try them on our shop". I asked if they were trying them on panels and windshield rubber that were aftermarket, too, because mine are originals, and they still acted like I was a daft fool or idiot. Very insulting. The Ironworker in me took over, and I unloaded on them, but it doesn't make me feel any better when I have to do that. realsteeler, I was thinking the same thing. A guy who gets the parts for my Gilroy, CA Indian Chief for me has a great chromer out there, and he did a couple of exhaust cones for me for not much, so I'm thinking seriously about sending him one set of each of my spare collection (door handles, trim, anything that goes on the truck) and having him do it for me. The previous owner gave me about 4 storage tubs full of spare parts, some have two or three of each, so I've got a big collection of things that someone else didn't want to have chromed back when they could have done it cheap. Oh, well. How about a picture of your front bumper?? I'd like to see that! My truck has a stainless rear bumper and if I could have gotten a stainless grill down the road, I would have bought a stainless front bumper for it instead. I have to admit the chrome bumper looks good, so it must not have come from the same communist sweatshop that the rest of their chrome comes from. But then again, it's only been on there a month or so...:)
"When I rest, I rust" 1951 3100 5 window w/ '56 235
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2012 Posts: 13 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2012 Posts: 13 | showme, My pics are in my post under 46 1/2 ton. In the third post, I mastered the art of picture posting sort of. Photobucket link.
| | |
| |