The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Cletus1950, Otto Skorzeny, dt235sd, Brian Moore, jeffreyguy), 151 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,107
Posts1,056,225
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 734
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 734
This is sort of a follow up to my post about 60-66 roof recipe.
Here's what I settled on. I took the rust rail, er, I mean the drip rail trough around roof down to bare metal and ground the pits away as much as possible. I'm going to use a metal prep with phosphoric acid to get at the little pits and stuff I couldn't get rid of. Then I'm going to use "Rust Bullet" (like POR 15) around the trough and associated seams. After a little seam sealer, I will apply self etching primer to entire roof and upper cab area and follow up with Dupont Nason acrylic enamel in flat white.
My two main questions are these: 1. Does this sound a decent plan for a d.i.y.'er on a tight budget (keeping in mind this is a beater, daily driver that I just want to look a little better and add some life expectancy)? 2. Seems most folks use a clear coat over Nason. The guy at the paint store said I don't need it if I only want flat white. Should I use a clear coat with a flattener to add durabilty against the elements? Getting a good gloss is not the only reason a clear coat is used , right?
-David


Tradin' up dimes for nickels...
'`'`'`'`'`'`
My \'65 Chevy C-20
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,384
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,384
Your plan sounds a lot like mine,, I have used the Rust Bullet & it seems to be OK. I think you do want some sort of clearcoat on base coat type paint. I believe it seals the paint completely. Brian


My \'64\'s in the Gallery
Pictures in my Photobucket
1964 C10 Custom Cab 350/700R4
1964 Suburban 350/700R4
1979 Ford F350 4x4 400/c6

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0