The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Wayne67vert, Phak1, Peggy M, WICruiser), 127 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,111
Posts1,056,243
Members48,437
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1061592 10/11/2014 1:18 PM
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 476
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 476
Does any one know the difference between 20 x 5.00s and 20 x 5.0 wheel sizes

Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,611
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,611
Chris,

I don't think there is a difference, it is just two representations of the same wheel width using different significant digits.

Paul


1941 Chevy 1 1/2-ton WW2 4x4 dump truck
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Lots more pictures
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 476
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 476
But in the Tech. Tips they show different tire sizes for them

Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,611
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,611
Chris,

If you are refering to this tech tip, you are right that there are different tire size recommendations.

http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/wheels/

Do you know what the "s" or "t" suffixes mean?

Hopefully Grigg will be able to shed some light on this as he the author of the tip.

I also recall wheel width measurement conventions changed sometime in the late 40's-early 50's. Details are hazy.

Paul


1941 Chevy 1 1/2-ton WW2 4x4 dump truck
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Lots more pictures
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
s = steering axle

t= traction axle / drive axle

Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,549
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,549
They most always spec.d a larger size tire for rear versus the front for weight height, after load. Example: 7.50 front- 8.25 rear, 8.25 front-9.00 rear.


Spanky Hardy
Collector Of Fine Old G.M. COE Trucks & Antique Holmes Wreckers

1948 Chevrolet 5700 COE Holmes HD W35 Wrecker
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures on Photobucket

1950 GMC 250 1-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 476
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 476
I'm asking about the size because I was thinking of getting some 20 x 5 rims to some day put 20 x 7.50 tires on them to put on the rear of my 46 2 ton. One on each side. I think I have 6" wide wheels now. That should work shouldn't it ? I,ve been running two rock hard snow tires on rusted rims with 20 psi in them for 5 years and about 1500 miles. My owner's manual calls for 8.25 all the way around my truck but 7.50 for the next shorter wheel base down. It had all 7.50's on it when I got it so that,s what I've always bought.

Last edited by Chris's 46 / 515; 10/11/2014 8:16 PM.
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,159
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,159
7:50's are getting hard to come by,and Mud and Snow's,are almost non-existent,in the "old- style". 8:25's,and 9:00's,are much more available,and the 8;25's are sometimes cheaper than the 7:50's,just for availability. All three sizes fit the same rim,(at least mine do). I use 8:25's on my steers,and 9:00x20:00's on the drives,like Spanky is saying. The 9:00's give it a taller profile,which helps get the truck up to 55 M.P.H "Lucky" to achieve 50 M.P.H. with the 7:50's. It looks like you have plenty of rear fender clearance for the 9:00's,but I'd measure first! I.M.H.O.,wreckers look better,if the wheel openings are filled-out. Yours is a BEAUT!!


Just sold: 1955 2nd Series 6500 2-Ton Flatbed Truck
Mo' Tater
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pics and videos on Photobucket

It takes an awful big dog to weigh a ton.
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 476
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 476
I'm committed to 7.50s at this point. I've already bought 4. I'm just wanting to make sure the 5" wide rims will work with the 7.50s on the inside duals on my 2 ton. Thanks for the compliment

Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,611
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,611
Chris,

As I said before, there was some change in the width dimension measurement during the 40-50's. From memory, I think my truck had 5 inch wide rims with a recommended 7.50 tire width. I have a decent looking late 40-early 50's solid lock ring, 5 lug 20 inch rim that I would love to put in the hands of someone that needs one. My applications require 6 lug wheels.

Paul


1941 Chevy 1 1/2-ton WW2 4x4 dump truck
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Lots more pictures
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 476
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 476
Thanks for the offer Paul, but I need 10 holes for the rear and two matching wheels. Nice truck you have there, the military stuff is so cool!

Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 667
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 667
I will be removing six 10 lug 20 x 5 rims off my '46 soon as I am replacing the rear axle and changing out the front. The rims & tires are all in pretty good shape. Lots of tread. Like most "heavy Chevys" from the '42 - early '47 period, the rears are either 8.25 or 8.50 as I recall while the fronts are 7.50. They will all be coming off before too long. I'm selling them for a hundred bucks each and guessing they would probably cost at least another hundred bucks to ship with the tires on but might still be right for anyone in search of this combination. I also have another ten or so "spare" rims in the same size.


1946 1.5-Ton Chevy Shorty Bus
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Tango's 1946 Chevy "Skoolie" Project
All my best --- Tango
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 667
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 667
I found plenty of 20x7.50's as well as 8.25's too here in Houston at a big rig tire shop. Chinese but about $200 bucks a pop.


1946 1.5-Ton Chevy Shorty Bus
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Tango's 1946 Chevy "Skoolie" Project
All my best --- Tango
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
Please post items for sale in the "Swap Meet" section.

Thanks,
Grigg

Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 476
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 476
A couple of years ago I purchased 2 7.50s new for my steer axle from the guy that does the tire work at my work (a CAT dealer). I got them for 450 with new flaps,tubes and mounted,but they were also Chinese. I sanded that part off.

Joined: May 2016
Posts: 4
D
New Guy
New Guy
D Offline
Joined: May 2016
Posts: 4
Paul_WNC / I know this is an old thread. You wouldn't have any leads on rims that would fit my 1948 2 ton?

Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,611
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,611
Originally Posted by dabbad
Paul_WNC / I know this is an old thread. You wouldn't have any leads on rims that would fit my 1948 2 ton?

If your 2 ton has the Budd style 6 lug stud piloted wheels, I have sourced them from many mid 1960's-70's Dodge, Ford, GMC, or IHC school buses or medium sized trucks.

From your low post numbers, you may not be familiar with Firestone R5 wheels...those are the style that created the moniker of "widow maker" learn what those rims look like and avoid them in your search.


1941 Chevy 1 1/2-ton WW2 4x4 dump truck
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Lots more pictures
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
48 2 ton ought to be 10 lug on 7.25" bolt circle.
Used is best bet, only new wheels are 19.5" and even with largest tire are too small a diameter in my opinion.
Please check out the wheel and tire what to do sticky thread and the tech tip linked in it.


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-

Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0