The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Wheelie, tclederman, Woodcmiami), 113 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,279
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 592
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 592
I got in a jam yesterday when I replaced the top plate on my SM420 with one that I had installed a back up light switch on. I removed the old top plate, put on a new gasket, put on the new one, lined up the bolt holes and tightened it down. The shifter felt completely normal in all gears and neutral, so imagine my surprise when I tried to back out of my garage and went north instead of south!

I went back and checked the manual. It states that the gears must all be in neutral when installing the top plate, but does not explain how to do that. I was stumped staring down at a bunch of gears when I took the new cover off the tranny.

I searched Stovebolt (and the rest of the internet) and couldn't find anything. I reached out to Jerry 'Hotrod Lincoln' for help and he very patiently walked me through it. THANKS JERRY!!

I recapped Jerry's instructions and included pictures on this link that I scanned into Photobucket just in case anyone else ever has the need.

http://s844.photobucket.com/user/ma...20AM_zpss5y4kc2w.png.html?sort=2&o=1

Jerry's advice was invaluable. As a thank you, I thought it would be good to pay it forward by posting the instructions.

Matt

Last edited by Maybellene; 05/09/2016 3:13 AM.
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,747
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,747
Just did this(and like you I got to do it 2 times) The pics are good. The only thought I could add, the reverse lever in the case, that critter likes to slide around. It is the 1st(granny) and reverse, so it matters.


Steve H
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
Would make a good Tech Tip addition. One should always have the transmission in neutral when removing the shifter as well, thanks for the post. I am pulling my closed drive transmission for an open (with corresponding drive shaft) I have and I will need to swap since on the open trans top the shifter lock pins are damaged.


Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0