The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (MikeE, Bill Hanlon, 1 invisible), 170 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,143
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1164295 05/07/2016 8:47 PM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 66
W
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
W Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 66
Mounted the cab on the frame got it have way level but the running boards have a gap of 3/8" on one side and 5/8" on the other. Is there supposed to be a gap between the body and running boards or they fit tight to the body

Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 775
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 775
There is a gap but yours looks too big. Are the running boards sitting on the hat channels welded to the running boards? And the hat channels in turn sitting on the running board supports rivited to frame? I had bend my supports to get them level. I did that with along pipe. Secure the filler that attaches to therunning board between the back of the cab to the running board. This should tell you if every thing is aligned.

Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,438
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,438
Gap or no gap that is shaping up nicely. What color of blue did you go with?

Dennis


40 Chevy 1/2 ton
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 66
W
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
W Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 66
The cab and box are color from a Lincoln of the 1940 vintage than the fenders and running boards are going to be a dark blue from GM from the same era. both are a very fine metallic.

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 66
W
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
W Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 66
GWWirth I have the boards sitting on the channels I have been trying to level the cab by measuring to the body line hand to shim one side of cab 1/2" to get it within 1/8" of each side. I don't think they cared to much how these things fit when they left the factory. The reason I ask is that both sets of runningboards that I have, have holes on the inside edge like they were screwed to the underside of the cab. Thanks Wayne

Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 775
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 775
They are not secured to the cab. I know the holes you describe. The rear of the cab sits on springs. This accounts for frame twist. If the running boards were fixed to the frame and to cab they would tear apart when driving over uneven ground. I hope that helps. Do you have the wood blocks and springs under the cab?

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 66
W
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
W Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 66
I have everything in place nothing is bolted down yet I shimmed the right side of the cab about 1/2" to get the body lines close to the same distance off the floor I end up with 5/8" gap on the right side should I shim the running board up 1/4" to narrow the gap? thanks Wayne

Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 45
O
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
O Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 45
I agree it is looking good, but I would wait until I put the fender on to see what you have to do to fix the gaps. You may have to bring the cab down. I know that on page 30 of Jim carter catalog has a picture of a 41 - 46 with measurement from the ground up and that should help. I am doing two 46 right now and once you get the running board on and then the fender on the bed and the front it will tell you where you are at. Now I did all this before I painted both of these truck and fixed any area that I need to at this point. Good Luck Jerry


My first prewar and it will not be my last. Done with the 40 for my best friend. Got a 46 (year I was born) to build for me.

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0