| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
0 members (),
139
guests, and
1
robot. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,113 Posts1,056,619 Members48,450 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 1,624 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2005 Posts: 1,624 | Picked up this very, very nice orginial '64 half ton with the 230 engine. Thinking about adding power steering IF possible and making it my daily driver, it's that nice. I'm older than I care to admit and got 'flashbacks' from the manual steering. If it's possible with this engine would you care to 'flesh' it out for me. I do restores and hot rods so I'm not a newbie. Thanks
Six volt guy living in a twelve volt world
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,836 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,836 | You might consider one of the new-design electrically-assisted steering systems. It might be a simpler modification than replacing the steering gear, mounting a pump, running hydraulic lines, etc. There should be plenty of them in salvage yards and a little internet research will probably turn up what's necessary to do the conversion. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 1,624 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2005 Posts: 1,624 | Thanks Jerry. That's a path that I had not thought of taking. I'll do a little research and see what is available. I had a good look at the front of the 230 and said to myself. "Self, this is not going to be a cakewalk."
Six volt guy living in a twelve volt world
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 5,228 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 5,228 | The inlines had power steering available to them, and the brackets show up on e-bay every now and then. The pump mounts under the alternator so you need both sets of brackets to make it work and a dual belt pulley for the balancer (I think). The rest will bolt on. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 Riding in the Passing Lane | | Riding in the Passing Lane Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 | You can mount a later model power steering gear with a bracket set available from specialty supliers like Speedway or CCP. I think Joe meant the pump goes over the alt. You will need the bracket sets like he described & a double groove water pump pulley. They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing. 1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne SuperIn the Gallery Forum | | | | | Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 5,228 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 5,228 | Sorry about that, pump does go above the alternator. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2007 Posts: 435 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2007 Posts: 435 | I had the set up on my 64/230. Bought the brackets from Tony at 5-6-7. They should be in the barn if I can find them. Send me a note and we'll talk. Tramp | | |
| |
| |