The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Bill Hanlon, DES57, Tom McGrath), 118 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,117
Posts1,056,296
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 331
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 331
In the process of fixing the brakes on my '50 4100. It has 15"x3" drums on the back with a single wheel cylinder and integrated emergency brake. The truck sat for nearly 40 years so everything is pretty well stuck. The wheels turn - but the adjustment is very close and I cannot get the drums off as a result. I am not familiar with the inards on these brakes. Anyone got any tricks I can use to get these things apart without tearing everything up? What I'd really like to see is some good pictures of what one of these brake assemblies looks like the drum off. Might help me come up with my own game plan.


1950 4100 - unrestored and driven weekly for almost no reason at all.
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 914
3
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 914
My son's 46 2 ton. Rear drums would not pull off.

I turned the brake adjusters counter clockwise to back off the shoes and increase the shoe to drum clearance.

Then the drums came off easy.


Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 96
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 96
I just fought the brake drums on my 81 toyota... totally different vehicle i know, but i had the same symptoms. wheel would spin, but drum wouldn't move.

It took quite a while but i used a propane torch and a hammer. heating around the the inside of the lugs then knocking around the perimeter of the drum.. heat, beat, repeat until it finally broke loose. Good luck!


1954 GMC 350-27
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 331
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 331
The problem I have is that the adjusters are seized because the truck has been sitting up for 40 years. I have been working on and studying this problem for 2 days now. This evening I drilled a single 1/2" hole in the front of the brake drum at the same level as the wheel cylinder/adjuster and was able to start busting up the wheel cylinder with a hammer and a punch. Eventually I'll have it broke apart enough that the shoes will relax and I will be able to get the drum off. I was also able to get my bore scope through that hole so that I could assess the situation. I did try penetrating oil and a hammer and punch on the adjusters from the front side but with no luck. Eventually one of the adjusters cracked and broke. It really killed me to have to destroy those wheel cylinders, but it's the least invasive option. I can replace them, its just going to cost me a small fortune.


1950 4100 - unrestored and driven weekly for almost no reason at all.
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,723
J
24601
24601
J Offline
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,723
Do those drums have slotted head, counter sunk screws that hold them to the axle flange?


~ John

A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.

1949 Chevrolet 3804
In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum
1973 IH 1310 Dump
1963 Kaiser M38A1
2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie"
2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 331
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 331
These are not floating drums John. The drum is physically attached to the wheel hub and comes off the spindle as an assembly. The reason I cannot get them off is because the shoe adjustment is very close and there is a ridge or a rusted area on the inboard part of the brake surface that is acting as a 'stop'. The adjusters are seized and I cannot back them off off in order to create clearance between the shoe and the drum.


1950 4100 - unrestored and driven weekly for almost no reason at all.
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,611
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,611
Remove the outer bearing so you can rock the drum back and forth.


1941 Chevy 1 1/2-ton WW2 4x4 dump truck
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Lots more pictures
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 2,063
Big Bolt Forum Moderator
Big Bolt Forum Moderator
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 2,063
I have sometimes been able to carefully spray penetrating oil in through the adjusting slot in the backing plate and then after a couple days, tap on the adjuster tangs and get it to break free.


Mike
1955 Chevy 6400 ex-flatbed (no bed now!) sold September 2023
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1958 Chevy 6400 flatbed W/dump
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1959 Chevy Suburban Owned for almost 20 years, Daily Driver -- sold May 2016
In the Stovebolt Gallery

Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 331
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 331
I have done all of the above guys. IT SAT FOR 40 YEARS.

Also, it has the Huck style brakes on it, unlike a Bendix brake, the shoes are very secure. You can't waller them out of position like you can with a Bendix type brake.


1950 4100 - unrestored and driven weekly for almost no reason at all.
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 2,063
Big Bolt Forum Moderator
Big Bolt Forum Moderator
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 2,063
Sorry, can't help on this one.


Mike
1955 Chevy 6400 ex-flatbed (no bed now!) sold September 2023
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1958 Chevy 6400 flatbed W/dump
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1959 Chevy Suburban Owned for almost 20 years, Daily Driver -- sold May 2016
In the Stovebolt Gallery

Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 331
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 331
If I'm in the mood whenever I get ready to start on the other side I may make a video of how I am going about doing this. Maybe it'll save someone else some frustration in the future. I was pleased with my results on the first one.


1950 4100 - unrestored and driven weekly for almost no reason at all.
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 89
J
JLM Offline
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 89
on my 46 2-ton i put the wheel back on to help get the drum off, all together its heavy, but gives you something to push and pull on and i eventually got them off.


1946 Chevrolet 2-ton

Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0