| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,089 Posts1,056,417 Members48,443 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Dec 2007 Posts: 171 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2007 Posts: 171 | What is the difference between a 1.5 ton front axle and brakes and a same year 2 ton. Are the spindles, bearings, brake drums different or interchangeable to a degree? Just trying to learn?????? | | | | | Joined: Nov 2010 Posts: 430 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2010 Posts: 430 | Alan, You should message Tango on this website. He seemed to have both axle in front of him at one point. I'm fairly certain the hubs and bearings are the same. I believe the bolts that hold the backing plate on and the bolts for the drum to hub are 1/2" on the 1 1/2 ton instead of 9/16" on the 2 ton, but someone else will have to answer that for sure. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2012 Posts: 201 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2012 Posts: 201 | The hubs and bearings are definitely different. The 1 1/2 ton uses a dust cap similar to the lighter axles, the 2-ton has a stamped plate that bolts on with 6 cap screws. The 2-ton bearings are also an odd size. As for the brake parts, I'm not sure as I only have the 2-ton to deal with. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2011 Posts: 667 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2011 Posts: 667 | Howdy Guys --- I did have both axles side-by-side but the deuce is now gone. I do recall that there were fairly significant differences. The one I remember most was that the tie rods connect from wheel to wheel in different locations relative to the kingpin. As a result, I had to locate the disc brake calipers in Randy's Kit on the front of the wheels rather than the rear on my 1.5. Also, the bolt sizes are different. Everything on the 1.5 is 1/2" where the deuce uses 9/16". Also seemed to be a small difference in the drop but can't recall which way on what. | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 . | | . Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 | I'd expect king pin differences and from there small differences in everything.
Easy enough when comparing axles to either measure and or look up the king pin diameter. Chances are if they're the same diameter some if not all parts will interchange. Similarly if the kingpin diameters are different don't count on anything to swap but might get lucky and find something does. | | |
| |
| |