The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (CuzzFuzz, 39Master85, Ponchogl, WICruiser, Otto Skorzeny), 82 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,090
Posts1,056,345
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1159101 04/08/2016 2:46 AM
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 54
T
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
T Offline
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 54
Does anyone know if MT sells installation kits for their ring&pinion sets for the 47-55AD's. Have a ring & pinion along with the installation kit on order with Patrick's. Been waiting 6 mos and still don't know when I am getting them. Very frustrating. But I do not want to cancel until I have another source.

thrs50 #1159107 04/08/2016 3:01 AM
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263

thrs50 #1159109 04/08/2016 3:13 AM
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
MT has the R&P in stock.
I think he does not sell any installation kit.

Classic Parts sells an installation kit. You'll have to call them to see if your kit is in stock.

Make sure it matches your year. There were differences in a few parts between 1947-1954.

I do not know about 1955st series 3.55 R&P conversion.

thrs50 #1159302 04/09/2016 1:50 AM
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 257
Haunting the SBP since 2001
Haunting the SBP since 2001
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 257
Looks to me like MT has these gear sets "Stacked To The Ceiling" & ready to ship.


http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...-ring-pinion-gears.923013/#post-11403559

thrs50 #1159788 04/11/2016 5:54 PM
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
If you observe, MT advertises them for 47 to 53. With a little modification, they can be made to fit a 54. However, the 55 1st and later is an open drive shaft and requires a completely different gear set. I agree with Tim. If there is a 3.55 gear set made for an open drive shaft, I have never heard about it.

thrs50 #1159792 04/11/2016 6:14 PM
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
"With a little modification, they can be made to fit a 54."
What is needed in 1954 is an earlier 4.11 1/2 ton truck carrier for the ring gear. Just swap it in.

"However, the 55 1st and later is an open drive shaft and requires a completely different gear set. I agree with Tim. If there is a 3.55 gear set made for an open drive shaft, I have never heard about it."
There is a 3.38 R&P set available for the later, open-driveshaft 3.90 rear ends.

Here are some sources (MT does not sell a set - unfortunately):
1. https://totalmetalinnovations.com/i...p;zenid=5587fdb8114a7f23a30f08424d7de76b
2. http://www.justdifferentials.com/GM55T-338-NG-p/gm55t-338-ng.htm
3. http://www.classicparts.com/1955-62-Rear-End-Gears-338-Ratio/productinfo/93-513/#.VwvaoRMrKdE

Installation kit #1 (get one of these two kits)
Installation kit #2 (get one of these two kits)

Patrick's 3.38 R&P gears - could be slow to deliver

Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 257
Haunting the SBP since 2001
Haunting the SBP since 2001
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 257
[quote=tclederman]
Here are some sources
(MT does not sell a set - unfortunately) [quote]





It sure looks like MT carries those 55-62 gears to me.


http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...ring-pinion-gears.1015591/#post-11476035



.

thrs50 #1159855 04/12/2016 12:03 AM
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Thank you very much, simplex

Joe would be irked by my incorrect information.

Looks like that post on the HAMB was made 28 minutes ago by MT? (a few minutes before your submitted your post here)

Would someone post contact info for MT?
You have to be a HAMB member to contact him at the HAMB link, I think?

Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
check your P.M.

thrs50 #1163255 05/01/2016 12:52 PM
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 54
T
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
T Offline
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 54
Does anyone know the difference between the two installation kits. I have a 50AD but the rear brakes are not the Huck type. I am assuming that I have a 51 or newer rear end. I have suspicions that the truck maybe a 52. So I am trying to figure out what kit to buy. The front end has the Huck style brakes.

thrs50 #1163263 05/01/2016 2:30 PM
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
One difference might be the Okie (drive shaft) Bushing?

1940/41-1950 bushing

1951-1954 bushing

The bushings is the only different in the photos (if photos are correct):
41-50 parts set
51-55 parts set

thrs50 #1163281 05/01/2016 4:46 PM
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 160
N
'Bolter
'Bolter
N Offline
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 160
Your axle should have a code stamp on the housing. It will start with H for '50, J for '51, K for '52, etc. I think for the half tons.
Check

http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com for details.

My 51 had a 50 axle, with Hucks, that's how I figured it out.


NHluvstruck...
1951 3100 5-window,.sold, regretted
https://stonefacegarage.wixsite.com/mysite
51 Chevy Restoration Page

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0