The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Hotrod Lincoln, Steelonsteel), 76 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,090
Posts1,056,376
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 4
Z
zap
Offline
New Guy
New Guy
Z Offline
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 4
My 1949 3100 has stock gearing etc so only runs about 45 or so. I'd like for it to run slightly faster without spending a lot of $$ if possible. A local mechanic told me "back in the day" they would swap out the rear ends center section (411:1) with that of a 49-54 car that had a powerglide. He said the powerglides as he recalled had 355:1 or 370:1 but you could easily run 60mph. He thought it was a straight and simple swap but didn't recall if you used your existing enclose drive shift it the one from the donor powerglide car. I'm looking for clarification on this. Thanks a ton (I mean half ton). Dan

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
Powerglide 3.5 only replace 4.11 in car applications, they do not fit the trucks.
There are aftermarket 3.5 gear sets for 1/2 tons available.


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 257
Haunting the SBP since 2001
Haunting the SBP since 2001
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 257
I have searched around & this is the best deal I have found on the truck highway gears.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...-ring-pinion-gears.923013/#post-11403559

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

That is MT (MotherTrucker) - he will treat you well.

Classic Parts sells an seals/bearing/gaskets/etc installation kit, which is well worth using. I do not think that MT sells a kit, but, if he does, get it from him.

If your u-joint looks loose/bad, get a replacement.

Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 257
Haunting the SBP since 2001
Haunting the SBP since 2001
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 257
Thanks TC....
When ordering the install kit it is very important to know the actual year of your torque tube as there are 2 different installation kits.



1940-1950
https://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb.dll?parta~dyndetail~Z5Z5Z50000014a~Z5Z5Z55967~P439.50~~~~S4KP00LZ3370162467914x~Z5Z5Z5~Z5Z5Z50000014x

And 1951-1953

https://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb.dll?parta~dyndetail~Z5Z5Z50000014a~Z5Z5Z5AAEZJ~P439.50~~~~S4KP00LZ3370162467914x~Z5Z5Z5~Z5Z5Z50000014x



Not recommending any vendor in particular for the install kit but these are the best prices I have found on them.

If someone else has located the bearing & seal install kit for less than the Filling Station .... please let us know.


.

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Check to see if the same parts are included in Classic Parts (below, for $325) and Filling Station (above, for $440)

Classic Parts: 1941-1950 : 1951-1954

Filling Station: 1940-1950 : 1951-1953 (probably also 1954?)

I do not know if Jim Carter or Chevs of the 40s sells those installation kits.

Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,418
ODSS Lawman
ODSS Lawman
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,418
Another method of getting the truck to go faster is to ensure the chassis is in sound condition. Meaning kingpins, tie rods, steering and most importantly BRAKES!

Then push the truck harder. Sure its going to get loud, but your truck as it is, IF everything is in good running order will go 60-70 mph..

I have found a lot of times the driver is the reason the truck won't go over 45.....



SWEET
Sergeant At Arms: Old Dominion Stovebolt Society
BUNS?!?!?!Where we're going, we don't need no buns.....
1950 GMC 450
1951 Chevy 1/2-Ton
The GreenMachine
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 257
Haunting the SBP since 2001
Haunting the SBP since 2001
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 257
Originally Posted by tclederman
I do not know if Jim Carter or Chevs of the 40s sells those installation kits.

Chevs of the 40's wants $490 for their installation kit. & it appears that they only have the 51-54 kit in stock at this time.


https://www.chevsofthe40s.com/detai...n_Conversion_Installation_Kit_Truck.html





.

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
simplex,

Thanks

Does it look like the various kits contain different/additional parts?

I used a Patrick's kit once and a Classic Parts kit once - they seemed to have the same parts?

Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 257
Haunting the SBP since 2001
Haunting the SBP since 2001
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 257
Patrique {sic} is the one who puts the install kits together & wholesales them out to all the vendors, but they are very unreliable & I hate to send guys to them because of the "flake factor".

If you can find the complete install kit,in stock & ready to ship....pay a few bucks more to insure you you actually get the kit in a timely fashion.

I heard that MT is trying to work out a deal with The Filling Station to carry the gears & the install kit all in one order......Stay tuned for more info. on that.

Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263

Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 257
Haunting the SBP since 2001
Haunting the SBP since 2001
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 257
Just got off the horn with MT & he said that all the attacks on him regarding the ring & pinion kits were motivated by his competition
{who retail the 3:55 gears for $100 more than his price}.

No one... I repeat No one.... can match the price of $350 W/FREE U.S. shipping on the 1940-1953 1/2 ton 3.55:1 truck gears
& all the other vendors who sell them are p.i.s.s.e.d off that he was able to cut a direct wholesale deal with the factory that produces the the gears & he is able to eliminate the retail middle man & pass the savings to anyone who is smart enough to search him out.

I asked MT if he had the truck gears in stock & ready to ship & his response was....
"We have 'em stacked to the ceiling & ready to ship"

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1568/13678754/24528751/412053690.jpg


Joined: May 2008
Posts: 4
Z
zap
Offline
New Guy
New Guy
Z Offline
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 4
So if I buy the 3:55 gears for $350 and the installation kit for ?, what would it cost to have them installed by a shop? Am I going to hahave $1000 in this upgrade or ?

Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 257
Haunting the SBP since 2001
Haunting the SBP since 2001
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 257
Originally Posted by zap
So if I buy the 3:55 gears for $350 and the installation kit for ?, what would it cost to have them installed by a shop? Am I going to hahave $1000 in this upgrade or ?

Replacing the gears in your existing torque tube rear end is the most economical way to go.

If you do not have ability to install the gears on your own.... Whatever you pay someone to do it is between you & the installer.

This 3.55:1 gear swap is pretty cheap if you consider the alternative.

Alternative:
Locate a complete used newer axle with highway gears from a newer model truck.

Cut off the spring mounting pads & fabricate new mounting pads & weld them on.

Replace the original closed driveline transmission with a trans. that has an open U joint.

Have a driveshaft made from scratch to fit & replace both U joints.

Rebuild the brakes on the used rear end as they are no doubt worn {hopefully you won't have the replace the brake drums when you do that}.

Try to figure out a way to get the later model brakes to handshake with your original braking system.

Try to figure out a way to get your original parking brake cables to work on the new rear end.




And... after you go thru the trouble of doing all that.... the new {used} rear end may last 20 years or it may last 20 minutes.


Chris Sweet already went out of his way to post an excellent tech article on installing the highway gears in your existing torque tube rear end.

http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/axles/355%20gear%20swap/

.

Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,146
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,146
Stovebolt Tech Tip.
Here is a relatively low-buck, easy way to get 3:55 gears under your '46 or older 1/2 ton.
1950 to 1954 Chevy powerglide 3.55 axle & Torque Tube Swap

Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 4
S
New Guy
New Guy
S Offline
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 4

So it appears Patrick's is in the business of taking your money and not sending you the parts you've paid for. I wish I had read the dozen's of negative reviews of folks that got ripped off. In my case I ordered the 3:55 ring and pinion and installation kit. $800 down the drain. I'm sure back in the day Patrick's was a reliable source for parts and info, but sadly that's not the case anymore.
So, here's my question: Where can I purchase a 3:55 ring and pinion + installation kit for my 1954 Chevy 3100 PU. Keep in mind some of the vendors use to order them from Patrick's. Another question is it looks like the 1954 needs an addition part (many vendors don't include the 1954 3100 year on their parts list. any suggestions?
Thanks,
Siggie

Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,320
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,320
I too was ripped off by patrick .I have to order from someone else , the 54 needs a carrier from a older truck but i seen a tech tip were the carrier was drilled by a machine shop to match the ring gear this is what i may do because the canadian trucks i was told also have a different carrier


1954 Canadian GMC 9300
"The Journey"
Follow in the DITY
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
Originally Posted by Siggie
So it appears Patrick's is in the business of taking your money and not sending you the parts you've paid for. I wish I had read the dozen's of negative reviews of folks that got ripped off. In my case I ordered the 3:55 ring and pinion and installation kit. $800 down the drain. I'm sure back in the day Patrick's was a reliable source for parts and info, but sadly that's not the case anymore.
So, here's my question: Where can I purchase a 3:55 ring and pinion + installation kit for my 1954 Chevy 3100 PU. Keep in mind some of the vendors use to order them from Patrick's. Another question is it looks like the 1954 needs an addition part (many vendors don't include the 1954 3100 year on their parts list. any suggestions?
Thanks,
Siggie
[email protected]

Mother trucker will have the gear kit
Youll have to source the install kit


Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0