Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
7 members (TUTS 59, Otto Skorzeny, Gdads51, Gray_Ghost, Jon G, Rick Brown, Wally / Montana),
98
guests, and
1
robot. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,115 Posts1,056,594 Members48,448 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 734 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 734 | Hey all, Is flat black spray paint, i.e. the cheap stuff at walmart, just as porous as gray primer? Is it no better at keeping moisture out than primer? My truck has been gray primer since I bought it and up to this point I've just been sanding areas of surface rust and spraying again with primer. That's starting to get old and the surface rust is starting to get out of control. I decided to start working on small areas at a time, priming it and then flat black in hopes to keep the moisture out. Every night in San Diego, dew builds up on top surfaces and just sits. I used flat black on a couple areas and already I can see metallic looking corrosion spots forming. I was very diligent in removing every last speck of rust in the area. I don't want a slick looking truck. It's a work truck and daily driver. Any ideas? | | | | | Joined: Nov 2003 Posts: 117 Member | | Member Joined: Nov 2003 Posts: 117 | Primer is not meant to stop rust. It is meant to form a base for paint to stick to the surface. You need to either use paint or a sealer on top of the primer.
Winona 1949 3100 5 Window Deluxe Cab
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 734 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 734 | Yes, that was my intent with the flat black paint. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2004 Posts: 29 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Apr 2004 Posts: 29 | If you use epoxy primer it will keep seal and keep your truck from rusting. However, its a 2 part system, so you need a spray gun and compressor to shoot it. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 734 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 734 | How 'bout Dupli-Color's products, "Primer Sealer" or "Weld/Through Cold Galvanized Primer" in spray cans? Anyone have experience with these? I'm trying to go cheap and easy. Just like my women! Heehee! Kidding of course. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2000 Posts: 454 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2000 Posts: 454 | Well, I'm painting everything on the frame with a brush, X-O Rust Red Metal Primer, and X-O Rust Satin Black. Cheap, about $6 a quart (and a quart goes a long way when using a brush) and easy (anybody can use a brush).
Jeff Nelson
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest." - Mark Twain
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2004 Posts: 120 Member | | Member Joined: Sep 2004 Posts: 120 | A tmy shop we use 3 different products for flat black. 1 Duvau, witch is commercial grade paint. you can paint anything with it. you will have to find a dealer of it though. 2 trackter paint, you can get it at any trackter suply company. 3 this one is the best. DP90 from ppg | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 | The DP90 expoxy primer/sealer is an excellent two-part product. DP90LF is the lead-free version. 90 is the number-code for black. There are other number-codes for other colors of this expoxy primer (many people recommend using a primer color similar in tone to the final coat).
This information is a little out-of-date and there might be more colors now: DP40 is gray/green, DP48 is white, DP50 is gray, DP74 is red, and DP90 is black. You can obtain identical colors in DPLF as well as DP60LF, which is blue.
Tim | | | | | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 734 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 734 | Well, I got a couple cans of Dupli-color's "Primer Sealer". Sanded the tops of the bedsides down to bare again (the dew sits on top of bed rails), primed them, applied the primer seal and then sprayed the flat black. I used 2 coats of primer, 2 coats of primer seal and now, at 94 cents a can, lots of flat black. Be cool if it holds up, time will tell. Hopefully it works until I buy a 230V air compressor and get it hooked up. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2003 Posts: 21 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Apr 2003 Posts: 21 | If you want a tough flat black, find your nearest John Deere dealer and go get some Blitz Black. A gallon is like $26 and you can use regular mineral spirits to thin it. If you want more info I got a tons of info for it I can post. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2000 Posts: 804 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2000 Posts: 804 | I have to tell you, if you are spraying this primer and flat black out of a rattle can, it will not protect much, if at all. A 2K primer like epoxy or urethane will protect from moisture "to a point". It is not designed to do that job, paint is. It will however protect for some time against rain or washing with no ill effects. But it is not designed to protect for extended periods of time.
The 1K primer from a rattle can, it will do almost NOTHING. Even one washing will likely cause damage.
1948 Chevy Pickup Chopped and sectioned owned since 1974 when I was 15.
| | | | | Joined: May 2001 Posts: 709 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2001 Posts: 709 | For the sheckel you've already spent on rattle cans you may have been able to "Scheib it" or something similiar. No longer any car any color for $29.95 but you'd probably get better metal protection for that daily driver. JMO
Bruce Old Toy: Ol' Betsy stock 59 Apache SB Stepside (Gone but not Forgotten) New Toy: 1962 Impala SS Coupe The Driver: 1990 Toyota truck
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 734 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 734 | So "Primer Sealer" in a rattle can is just a big waste of time? And if I were to use an epoxy primer with flat black spray, it would only prolong the inevitable?
If paint is the only thing that keeps moisture out, what flat black can I use? Are the tractor paints the best bet for flat black? Should I use a couple coats of actual topcoat (like a gloss black) then apply the flat black over that? And yeah, I thought about Scheib but, I still got a lot of body work to do like cutting out old metal and replacing. Right now I'm just concerned with top areas where the dew sits nightly. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2003 Posts: 21 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Apr 2003 Posts: 21 | The paints you get from TSC and the sort arent the greatest paints to use.
JD Blitz Black is a good paint to use, it is very strong, they use it on the lower portion of the cabs, the part that runs by the wheels.
The downside to it, it is tough so it doesnt sand easily to paint over, so down the line you are still gonna want to strip it to lay down real paint.
But if you're looking for a cheap long term paint, I would say this is the way to go. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 734 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 734 | Seeing as how I don't ever want "real" paint, that's not a problem. I'm not into slick vehicles. Although... I went and looked at the new Dodge Magnum RT with 390 ft. lbs. of torque. That's a slick car I could drive! I'll check out the tractor paint. Thanks. | | | | | Joined: May 2003 Posts: 213 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2003 Posts: 213 | Mugsy,
If the flat look is what you want, that can be done. Use DP90 for the prime coat to get a good base, then use DCC9300 (or is it 9330) with a flatener addative. Then you get a finish that will stand up for more than a week and the flat finish you want.
I hate to see someone do all the work only to have it rusty before Christmas. If you use the cheap stuff, by this time next year you will be doing it all over. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 734 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 734 | And this DP90 and DCC? is the tractor paint? And made by whom? I live in San Diego but, there are plenty of ranches 20 minutes away so I'm sure I can find a retailer. | | | | | Joined: May 2003 Posts: 213 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2003 Posts: 213 | Both are PPG products. I'm sure there are similar products in other brands that would do the exact same. I use PPG because that's what I learned with. Please note that it will not be anywhere near as cheap as the farm stuff, but it will last for many years looking as good then as today. What costs more, paying a chunk for paint that keeps your ride the way you like it, or doing cheaper now but repeating several times.
Bottom line, what's more fun, painting or driving?
Check around for an auto paint supplier in your area. If you cant find ppg, try one of the other better brands. | | |
| |