The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Hotrod Lincoln, Guitplayer, TUTS 59, IHPWR), 185 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,227
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1155172 03/15/2016 6:11 PM
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 11
T
New Guy
New Guy
T Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 11
I have a 1949 Chevy 1/2 ton with a 216 engine. I heard a very low scratching noise and found it was the water pump pulley . It was wobbling. I removed the fan belt and found the fan was loose. I thought I would tighten the fan bolts and problem fixed. The bolts were already tight. Mind you the truck is not overheating or leaking at all. I removed the fan , but I can not remove the pulley. I don' t know why the pulley won' t tighten up. Any idea fellows what can be wrong before I have to remove the water pump.

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Sounds like the water pump bearing is bad. Others ideas will be along shortly.


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
Lets back up here. Just fan was loose? But bolts were tight? What do you mean by loose? Pulley tight but fan loose with tight bolts?
You could just leave fan off and install whatever bolts will not be too long, install belt and run motor to see if pulley still "wobbles".

Before running motor and before putting on belt, try to wiggle pulley by hand to detect pump shaft movement.


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,803
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Online: Content
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,803
The pulley is pressed onto the water pump shaft. If the pump isn't leaking now it will be soon. Change the pump. The shaft bearings are worn out.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 481
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 481
Jerry,

You're a wealth of knowledge. Just so you know, I learned something new today.

Thanks!

John

P.S.
By the way, I finished drilling my crankshaft and tapped the threads on Saturday. Tried the bolt I bought to be installed after pulling the Harmonic Balancer on and it threads in fine. The tool and your guidance are well appreciated.

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
Even after some dirt track roll overs and a bike laydown, he still has it. Hard headed I guess.


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 11
T
New Guy
New Guy
T Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 11
No, the shaft seems to be alright. Just the pulley. I took the fan off and added a couple of extra washers to the bolts and reinstalled the bolts with no fan , the bolts will tighten up, but the pulley is still wobbly.not the shaft just pulley.

Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 11
T
New Guy
New Guy
T Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 11
When buying a new pump does the pulley come installed on pump or do you use your own? Or buy it separately? I am thinking the pulley got unwelded or detached from the pump shaft somehow. ?

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,803
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Online: Content
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,803
The new pump comes with the pulley attached. If it's wobbling, the press fit on the pulley has gone away, and it cannot be re-established. If the pulley is indeed loose on the shaft, it would be the first one I've seen like that since I started getting paid to fix cars and trucks in the mid-1950's.

http://www.classicparts.com/images/82-011-th.jpg

Jerry



"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 11
T
New Guy
New Guy
T Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 11
Yes, I believe that is what has happened. Thanks for all the quick response. I guess I will have to replace the water pump after all.

Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 11
T
New Guy
New Guy
T Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 11
P

Last edited by thrift_master; 03/16/2016 2:48 AM.
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
Is the pulley loose on the shaft (the round end in the middle of the pulley?


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 11
T
New Guy
New Guy
T Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 11
Yes, the pulley is loose on the shaft. The shaft bearings are good, no leaks no overheating ,because the pulley catches enough to turn the shaft.

Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
If that is the case, use a three jaw puller to remove the pulley so that you can see where the damage is (shaft or pulley).
Carl


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0