Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,109 Posts1,056,261 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | |
#11514 12/01/2002 4:41 PM | Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 581 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 581 | Happy Thanksgiving Stovebolters, Those of you who follow the BillyBob rebuilding will find a new log entry at: And More Frame Work This one deals with frame painting and the installation of new springs. | | |
#11515 12/01/2002 4:52 PM | Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 504 Member | | Member Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 504 | Looking Good, Larry. The Billy Bob Chronicles are always an enjoyable read for me.. The spring work and the frame cosmetics are a great addition to your truck...
Bill M 53 GMC Hydra-Matic
Home Page http://home.comcast.net/~bd97/index.html
When you argue with a fool, two fools are arguing..
| | |
#11516 12/01/2002 5:38 PM | Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 398 Member | | Member Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 398 | Thanks for posting, Larry. Always enjoyable to see your progress with Billybob. I think one of the most helpful aspects of your site is that you post about all the little pitfalls and snags to watch out for along the way. I'm sure it's probably helped a good many folks-I mean, who'da thunk you would need to shave down the spring eyes to make 'em fit?! :confused: Hope your thanksgiving was good and wishing you the best for the coming round of "December Holidays." Regards, Wannabe 
"Don't expect anything and you'll never be disappointed"
| | |
#11517 12/01/2002 6:36 PM | Joined: Jan 2000 Posts: 125 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2000 Posts: 125 | Interesting Post Larry, Looks good. What I want to know is how does the truck ride with the rod springs?
Grant 1950 Chevy 3100 1952 GMC 150 (In Pieces) 1968 Chevy K20 1966 Shovelhead 1978 BMW 100S
| | |
#11518 12/01/2002 7:50 PM | Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 581 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 581 | Thanx fellas, Grant, I'll have to get back in a few days on the ride issue. So far, there's only been one test ride, at low speed, around the block to make sure the wheels don't fall off Curly has Eaton rod ride springs on his truck and posted in one of the forums (search for eaton springs). I believe Tony and Joy have Eaton springs on one of their trucks but I don't know if they are the "Rod Ride" springs or not. | | |
#11519 12/01/2002 9:37 PM | Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 398 Member | | Member Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 398 | Larry, I forgot to ask earlier; how do the Eaton springs compare price wise to other suppliers? I know their stuff is generally more "custom tailored" but they don't have any price listings (even generalized ones) on their site. TIA. Regards, Wannabe 
"Don't expect anything and you'll never be disappointed"
| | |
#11520 12/02/2002 2:24 AM | Joined: Jun 2002 Posts: 96 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2002 Posts: 96 | Larry please stop posting updates as I spend 1/2 my morning reading them and dont get my chores done.  Hope the finger is OK.
Send David Hicks home - now! "Better to be wrong and kill no one then right with mass graves" Albert Camus
| | |
#11521 12/02/2002 3:05 AM | Joined: Aug 2000 Posts: 800 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2000 Posts: 800 | Was there any discussion of teflon sheets being inserted between the leaves of the springs by Eaton? A few people I've met at meets either did that or were chagrined that they didn't do it. Just curious. By the way I alway pronounce your handle in my mind ( my lips are generally not moving while I read this) as "larry-okie", though it shouldn't be so according to Webster. (Very distant relation to Murphy). Good reads, as always.  | | |
#11522 12/02/2002 2:49 PM | Joined: Jan 2000 Posts: 125 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2000 Posts: 125 | I used the teflon sheets on stock new springs I bought from JC Whitney. I found the ride to still be somewhat harsh and on certain types of bumps at highway speeds was very "lively", almost more than my new gas shocks could handle. Along the same topic has anyone tried the shocks sold by Brothers. The add say's they have different rates, a softer one for compression than for rebound.
Grant 1950 Chevy 3100 1952 GMC 150 (In Pieces) 1968 Chevy K20 1966 Shovelhead 1978 BMW 100S
| | |
#11523 12/03/2002 4:14 PM | Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 581 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 581 | OK fellas, I've been drivin' around a couple of days now with the new springs and can offer some observations.
Grant, I can't tell you the difference between New stock springs and the "Rod Ride" springs I installed, but the difference between the "Rod Ride" springs and the probably original 47 year old worn out springs (one of which had four broken leaves) is noticable. Not much difference at low speeds. Speeds at 50 or greater no longer feel like my life is in the balance. BillyBob still rides like a truck and I still have bias ply tires with tubes so, none of the old truck feeling is lost but I don't have to clench my teeth and white-knuckle the steering wheel when I hit a stretch of washboard road now. Road wander is about the same (don't know if I'll need the caster shims yet).
Wannabe, To get to the prices on the Eaton website, you have to find the order and pricing link under products. Front stock springs are listed at $399 pr, Rod Ride at $419. Rear stock springs are $449 pr, Rod Ride is $469. These prices, I think are upsets for a range of years. I you place an order, exact info is required and the prices change. BillyBob's total with shackles and spring bolts plus shipping came to $1021
Pete, You've got at least a month to get your chores done. If your place looks like mine, it isn't enuf time.
K10, Sorry the Eaton guy didn't say anything to me about teflon. The new springs do have some kinda sheets between the leaves but I don't think it's teflon. I kinda like "larry-okie". It's better than being mistaken for a Japanese fad or a co-worker's version "LA Rookie". I stole the LAROKE idea from ARthur VIning DAvis who started the vast real estate holdings known as ARVIDA. LAROKE is for LArry RObert KEphart. | | |
#11524 12/04/2002 12:23 AM | Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 398 Member | | Member Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 398 | Thanks, Larry. Have you thought about some radials? That would probably help your ride even more. Regards, Wannabe 
"Don't expect anything and you'll never be disappointed"
| | |
#11525 12/04/2002 1:38 AM | Joined: Aug 2000 Posts: 800 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2000 Posts: 800 | NO radials, EVER!  | | |
#11526 12/04/2002 1:52 AM | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 208 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 208 | Larry, for a while there, I thought you might be a long lost cousin. My last name is Larroque and and some telemarketers pronounce it, "Laroke". That's how I screen the phone calls.  Great post, keep those updates comin'. Jacques
Union, Justice and Confidence
| | |
#11527 11/02/2005 1:28 AM | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 158 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 158 | So, Larry Kephart, how do you and Billy Bob like the Rod Ride springs from Eaton now that you've had a few years with them?
Cheers, mark. '51 KY 3100 "Poking around the search function..." | | |
#11528 11/02/2005 3:59 PM | Joined: May 2004 Posts: 351 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: May 2004 Posts: 351 | Since this discussion is on the topic of springs. Has anyone tried Patrick's new front and backs? Patrick's is about $100 less with the matched set of gas shocks. | | |
#11529 11/03/2005 12:31 AM | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 42 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 42 | What I want to know is how did you steal my trucks name. I was drivin Billy Bob back in the 80's when I was in high school. My wife thinks the name is too "hickish" so now I generally refer to him as "William Robert".
Nice truck by the way. | | |
#11530 11/05/2005 2:53 PM | Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 581 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 581 | Hi Mark, Sorry I didn't reply sooner. I didn't see your post because I've been out of town for the last five days. Went on a cruise with six of the surviving members of the USS Abner Read, A Fletcher Class destroyer my uncle died on when it sunk in the Battle of Leyte Gulf. His story is here: USS Abner Read Story Had a good time and got away from the hurricane cleanup for a few days. I'm happy with the springs. I've got most of the chassis refurbished except for the steering linkage and the ride is good. It's still a little stiff but I don't have a bed in the back yet and it needs the weight. Sorry Gemson, Your Billy Bob is two words and mine is one word and maybe that will keep the confusion down some. BillyBob was my Brother's truck before I got him and it was the last family vehicle my Dad worked on before he died. It's the reason I named the truck "BillyBob." My brother's name is William Craig Kephart and my father's was Robert Joseph Kephart . . . "Billy" and "Bob" worked on this truck together. Thanx for the kind words too. | | |
#11531 11/07/2005 8:15 PM | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 42 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 42 | Laroke,
I can't think of any better way to name the truck than after your dad & brother. My sign on name gemson comes from my dads initials are G.E.M. & he is in my opinion the one of the greatest stovebolters out there. He bought my truck when I was 3 weeks old. | | |
| |