The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (mick53, 1955 1 Series, klhansen, Shade Baby), 101 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,277
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#11514 12/01/2002 4:41 PM
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 581
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 581
Happy Thanksgiving Stovebolters, Those of you who follow the BillyBob rebuilding will find a new log entry at:

And More Frame Work

This one deals with frame painting and the installation of new springs.


Larry Kephart
1937 Chevy Utility Express (Deerslayer)
1955 1st 3100 Chevy (BillyBob)
2017 Cadillac ATS-V (Elvira)
Boca Raton, Florida
e-mail: [email protected]

http://www.laroke.com/larryk4674/1998/billybob.htm
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 504
5
Member
Member
5 Offline
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 504
Looking Good, Larry. The Billy Bob Chronicles are always an enjoyable read for me.. The spring work and the frame cosmetics are a great addition to your truck...


Bill M
53 GMC Hydra-Matic

Home Page
http://home.comcast.net/~bd97/index.html

When you argue with a fool, two fools are arguing..
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 398
W
Member
Member
W Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 398
Thanks for posting, Larry. Always enjoyable to see your progress with Billybob. I think one of the most helpful aspects of your site is that you post about all the little pitfalls and snags to watch out for along the way. I'm sure it's probably helped a good many folks-I mean, who'da thunk you would need to shave down the spring eyes to make 'em fit?! :confused: Hope your thanksgiving was good and wishing you the best for the coming round of "December Holidays." smile

Regards,
Wannabe smile


"Don't expect anything and you'll never be disappointed"
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 125
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 125
Interesting Post Larry, Looks good. What I want to know is how does the truck ride with the rod springs?


Grant
1950 Chevy 3100
1952 GMC 150 (In Pieces)
1968 Chevy K20
1966 Shovelhead
1978 BMW 100S
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 581
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 581
Thanx fellas,

Grant, I'll have to get back in a few days on the ride issue. So far, there's only been one test ride, at low speed, around the block to make sure the wheels don't fall off grin

Curly has Eaton rod ride springs on his truck and posted in one of the forums (search for eaton springs). I believe Tony and Joy have Eaton springs on one of their trucks but I don't know if they are the "Rod Ride" springs or not.


Larry Kephart
1937 Chevy Utility Express (Deerslayer)
1955 1st 3100 Chevy (BillyBob)
2017 Cadillac ATS-V (Elvira)
Boca Raton, Florida
e-mail: [email protected]

http://www.laroke.com/larryk4674/1998/billybob.htm
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 398
W
Member
Member
W Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 398
Larry, I forgot to ask earlier; how do the Eaton springs compare price wise to other suppliers? I know their stuff is generally more "custom tailored" but they don't have any price listings (even generalized ones) on their site. TIA.

Regards,
Wannabe smile


"Don't expect anything and you'll never be disappointed"
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 96
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 96
Larry please stop posting updates as I spend 1/2 my morning reading them and dont get my chores done. grin Hope the finger is OK.


Send David Hicks home - now!
"Better to be wrong and kill no one then right with mass graves" Albert Camus
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 800
K
k10 Offline
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
K Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 800
Was there any discussion of teflon sheets being inserted between the leaves of the springs by Eaton? A few people I've met at meets either did that or were chagrined that they didn't do it. Just curious. By the way I alway pronounce your handle in my mind ( my lips are generally not moving while I read this) as "larry-okie", though it shouldn't be so according to Webster. (Very distant relation to Murphy). Good reads, as always. smile

Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 125
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 125
I used the teflon sheets on stock new springs I bought from JC Whitney. I found the ride to still be somewhat harsh and on certain types of bumps at highway speeds was very "lively", almost more than my new gas shocks could handle.
Along the same topic has anyone tried the shocks sold by Brothers. The add say's they have different rates, a softer one for compression than for rebound.


Grant
1950 Chevy 3100
1952 GMC 150 (In Pieces)
1968 Chevy K20
1966 Shovelhead
1978 BMW 100S
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 581
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 581
OK fellas, I've been drivin' around a couple of days now with the new springs and can offer some observations.

Grant, I can't tell you the difference between New stock springs and the "Rod Ride" springs I installed, but the difference between the "Rod Ride" springs and the probably original 47 year old worn out springs (one of which had four broken leaves) is noticable. Not much difference at low speeds. Speeds at 50 or greater no longer feel like my life is in the balance. BillyBob still rides like a truck and I still have bias ply tires with tubes so, none of the old truck feeling is lost but I don't have to clench my teeth and white-knuckle the steering wheel when I hit a stretch of washboard road now. Road wander is about the same (don't know if I'll need the caster shims yet).

Wannabe, To get to the prices on the Eaton website, you have to find the order and pricing link under products. Front stock springs are listed at $399 pr, Rod Ride at $419. Rear stock springs are $449 pr, Rod Ride is $469. These prices, I think are upsets for a range of years. I you place an order, exact info is required and the prices change. BillyBob's total with shackles and spring bolts plus shipping came to $1021

Pete, You've got at least a month to get your chores done. If your place looks like mine, it isn't enuf time.

K10, Sorry the Eaton guy didn't say anything to me about teflon. The new springs do have some kinda sheets between the leaves but I don't think it's teflon. I kinda like "larry-okie". It's better than being mistaken for a Japanese fad or a co-worker's version "LA Rookie". I stole the LAROKE idea from ARthur VIning DAvis who started the vast real estate holdings known as ARVIDA. LAROKE is for LArry RObert KEphart.


Larry Kephart
1937 Chevy Utility Express (Deerslayer)
1955 1st 3100 Chevy (BillyBob)
2017 Cadillac ATS-V (Elvira)
Boca Raton, Florida
e-mail: [email protected]

http://www.laroke.com/larryk4674/1998/billybob.htm
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 398
W
Member
Member
W Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 398
Thanks, Larry.

Have you thought about some radials? That would probably help your ride even more.

Regards,
Wannabe smile


"Don't expect anything and you'll never be disappointed"
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 800
K
k10 Offline
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
K Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 800
NO radials, EVER! grin

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 208
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 208
Larry, for a while there, I thought you might be a long lost cousin. My last name is Larroque and and some telemarketers pronounce it, "Laroke". That's how I screen the phone calls. grin Great post, keep those updates comin'. Jacques


Union, Justice and Confidence
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 158
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 158
So, Larry Kephart, how do you and Billy Bob like the Rod Ride springs from Eaton now that you've had a few years with them?

Cheers,
mark.
'51 KY 3100
"Poking around the search function..."

Joined: May 2004
Posts: 351
R
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
R Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 351
Since this discussion is on the topic of springs. Has anyone tried Patrick's new front and backs? Patrick's is about $100 less with the matched set of gas shocks.

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 42
G
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
G Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 42
What I want to know is how did you steal my trucks name. I was drivin Billy Bob back in the 80's when I was in high school. My wife thinks the name is too "hickish" so now I generally refer to him as "William Robert".

Nice truck by the way.

Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 581
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 581
Hi Mark,

Sorry I didn't reply sooner. I didn't see your post because I've been out of town for the last five days. Went on a cruise with six of the surviving members of the USS Abner Read, A Fletcher Class destroyer my uncle died on when it sunk in the Battle of Leyte Gulf. His story is here:

USS Abner Read Story


Had a good time and got away from the hurricane cleanup for a few days.

I'm happy with the springs. I've got most of the chassis refurbished except for the steering linkage and the ride is good. It's still a little stiff but I don't have a bed in the back yet and it needs the weight.

Sorry Gemson, Your Billy Bob is two words and mine is one word and maybe that will keep the confusion down some. BillyBob was my Brother's truck before I got him and it was the last family vehicle my Dad worked on before he died. It's the reason I named the truck "BillyBob." My brother's name is William Craig Kephart and my father's was Robert Joseph Kephart . . . "Billy" and "Bob" worked on this truck together.

Thanx for the kind words too.


Larry Kephart
1937 Chevy Utility Express (Deerslayer)
1955 1st 3100 Chevy (BillyBob)
2017 Cadillac ATS-V (Elvira)
Boca Raton, Florida
e-mail: [email protected]

http://www.laroke.com/larryk4674/1998/billybob.htm
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 42
G
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
G Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 42
Laroke,

I can't think of any better way to name the truck than after your dad & brother. My sign on name gemson comes from my dads initials are G.E.M. & he is in my opinion the one of the greatest stovebolters out there. He bought my truck when I was 3 weeks old.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0