The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Jays58, Youngin' Tut 59, 39Master85), 91 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,095
Posts1,056,468
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
Were the all black tail lights common?
Body and bezel
I saw a set on Brad Allens web site but dont believe I seen them on any trucks at the shows Ive attended.

Or were the all black tail lamp not used on our trucks.


Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
The vendors show black with chrome lens ring.

Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
Yes.

I just replaced my all chrome with the black body and chrome ring.
And changed my chrome brackets to the black.

But I saw an all back on Brads site

I believe they were do ray, (cannot find them now)

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Brad,

What are the dates on the box in your first photo?

Maybe the len-ring/bezel/door was black before 1947?

Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
Thanks
Thats it, looks like an earlier year used the same style.

Looks like if I want an all black it will have to be a custome job.




Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
The Doray item is from 1937-38, common taillight in black on cars and trucks through the war years.

Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
Finally found the pic from Brads site


...brads pic...

Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
I think ill modify the chrome housing that I removed and replicate the dorays from the pic

...pic...

The box in that pic says 42 to 53




Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 800
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 800
Did all of our A-D trucks leave the assembly line with "Guide/Stopray" brand tail lights (Left only)?

http://s160.photobucket.com/user/st...er_zpsyxbbm6mr.jpg.html?sort=3&o=109

LUKE

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
Luke,

The salesman data books do a pretty good job of spelling this out as all models even chassis type came with a LH light. I went into my '48 data book and Option No. 249 spells out the model availability for dual taillight/stoplight. It lists the following models, Sedan Delivery, Carryall Suburban, Panel and Canopy Express models. However in the 1949/50 books No.249 lists the following models, 1508, 3105, 3106, 3107, 3116, 3805, and 3807 (all with their own specific option number, i.e, 249K, etc.).It also adds the following quote, "The added protection of dual tail and stop lights is desired by many truck users and required by law in some states." So while I do believe they were equipped with the same basic light some left the factory with the RH light (I am talking a factory RPO not a dealer installed accessory).

Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
Originally Posted by DADS50
Finally found the pic from Brads site


...brads pic...

Tried to copy the do-ray look

...before...


...nuther change...

...faux-ray..

...pic...


Guess those do-rays for the AD were a pretty rare aftermarket piece.
I like the look. Im not a factory correct guy anyways.

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Are those LED lenses Gus??? Looks like there is a pattern
in the red that's different than the StopRay lenses.
dg


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 800
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 800
Also curious to know about what is just below the tailgate, above the Guide B-31 back-up light, to the right of the license plate. I have not seen that before.

Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
Yes. ...LED's...

I went with LED's , they help out here on the bright sunnys days in the summer.

The barrel connector on the back has been there ever since my Dad bought the truck back in the early 70's

Probably for a hitch pig tail

The truck had a barden bumper with a ball


Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0