| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,119 Posts1,056,313 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: May 2013 Posts: 173 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2013 Posts: 173 | I've put alot of miles on my 1940 and besides your typical daily driver type stuff I had a different idea. I wanted to see what a stock '40 is capable of doing off-road. There are alot of off-road vehicle parks in my area and 99.999% of people drive 4x4, so I thought about slapping on some tire chains and seeing what this old girl is capable of...I mean people had to get around some how back then. What is everyone's thoughts on this, has anyone actually tired this?? | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 | My thoughts are...that it would be the same as asking a 76 year old to participate in a Triathlon and expecting him to be competitive. At this age they've served their purpose and it's time to put them out to pasture and give them a well deserved rest in stead of tearing them up in an off road trial of strength and endurance.
Denny Graham Sandwich, IL
Denny G Sandwich, IL
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 | If you break a half axle, where would you get another one? That would be one of my worries. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 5,221 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 5,221 | I would bet with the low gearing, you will run out of traction before anything would break. A slow paced, not to steep of an adventure might be fun!
Joe | | | | | Joined: Dec 2015 Posts: 2,063 Big Bolt Forum Moderator | | Big Bolt Forum Moderator Joined: Dec 2015 Posts: 2,063 | I had a 1960 Willys wagon, all stock, flathead 6. I broke a lot of things and ended up replacing all of the drivetrain. It will go some places, but will get stuck a lot. Do you have someone with a winch that you trust to pull you out? | | | | | Joined: May 2013 Posts: 173 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2013 Posts: 173 | I really don't plan to abuse it or wreck a good truck but I was thinking about having some fun with it and seeing if anyone else wants to join, I think it would be fun to get a group of stovebolters together for a trail ride by 1940's standards would be classified as good dirt roads | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 334 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2005 Posts: 334 | I really don't plan to abuse it or wreck a good truck but I was thinking about having some fun with it and seeing if anyone else wants to join, I think it would be fun to get a group of stovebolters together for a trail ride by 1940's standards would be classified as good dirt roads On good dirt roads it should do fine - my 54 3100 has. Back then in farm country that's mostly what they drove on (or gravel roads), as well as in the fields. Mudding or rock climbing, there's no way I would subject my truck to that. Samantha | | |
| |
| |