The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (Otto Skorzeny, klhansen, Bill Hanlon, rfs56trk, 1955 1 Series, DHedrick, Robert Crandall), 120 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,087
Posts1,056,399
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 67
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 67
Hi-
I just adopted a decent '63 and the column shifter won't cooperate...it won't go into reverse.

It goes in 1st and second.
Any tricks I should know before diving into this linkage???
Ron Albany, NY

Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 336
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 336
Disconnect the linkage and move the arms on the transmission into reverse. If it goes in easily, start the truck and see if it moves in reverse. If that works, it's most likely a worn bushing. You can try jiggling the linkage and then try going to reverse. I remember a '63 we used to have doing the same thing. I'd jiggle the linkage and away I'd go. It was a worn bushing.


1959 3100 Apache Fleetside
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 10
T
New Guy
New Guy
T Offline
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 10
i just fixed this on my 65. i'm not sure about the linkage on your 63 but check out this video to see if it will help.



jeff

Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 23
G
New Guy
New Guy
G Offline
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 23
Does it have overdrive? You can't put it in reverse with overdrive engaged. This can happen if the PO wired up the linkage and disconnected the governor and added a switch somewhere like the bottom edge of the dash.


1959 Fleetside Apache Deluxe Shortbed
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 451
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 451
For what it is worth I just picked up a 63' and one of my first projects is squaring away the TOTT. I have some photos from a guy named Jay of his tear down I can share. I have some pics of my basic adjustment attempt on my Flickr site. The three links below from another forum site and on a youtube video on a later model.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=215307
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=256851
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=452809



Not sure if you resolved the issue but the closest thread to date. Cavebull


cavebull
Stovebolts - so easy even a Cavebull can do it.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dodsonbrett/collections

Moderated by  Hambone, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0