The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Waveski, Gib70), 82 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,094
Posts1,056,464
Members48,443
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1131346 10/26/2015 12:52 AM
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 192
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 192
After playing with the accel pump linkage a bit I was able to reduce the initial throttle stumble on my '56 235 with stock 1bbl Rochester on my '53 3100, but haven't gotten rid of the acceleration dead spot until now. I have been taking it for a few short trips around the neighborhood since I got it minimally drivable, no air filter and only a few feet of exhaust pipe. Well, yesterday I finished up the new exhaust and mounted an element style air filter and took it for another ride to see how the exhaust performed. Lo-and-behold the stumble was hardly there, if at all. Air filter? Exhaust back pressure? Whatever made the difference I'm not sure, but it feels good knowing I own a pretty good running stovebolt! I suppose it's too much to ask to get rid of that hydraulic lifter tick?

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Is that a '56 235 car engine? With out going back thru all the past threads
we, or at least I don't recall which engine you've got in your truck Lem.
And without knowing exactly what you've used for an air cleaner it's hard to
come to any conclusion.
Every carburetor that I've tried on my '50 216, which are several
meticulously rebuilt Rochester 'B's and a couple of W-1 carters, have left
me with the stumble on acceleration. This was true without an air cleaner,
with the spark arrestor using a paper filter, with an oil bath filter, with
the original engine and after a complete engine rebuild. You will hear some
experts tell you to jack your timing way up till it's pinging but I'm not
an advocate of that. Set to the ball was the best performance that the
engineers determined over tens of thousands of hours of dyno testing and
the way millions of Stovebolts were designed to run, so that's where
I've always set mine.
The smoothest engine performance I've been able to accomplish is by adding a
small amount of choke, which does eliminate the stumble when I apply
throttle when I start off or hit the throttle to accelerate. This is true in
all of the previously mentioned configurations. And this suggests to me
that the engine is simply running lean. Why would it be running lean if the
timing is correct, and the carburetor is correct and is metering the proper
mixture? The conclusion that I've arrived at after 10 years and 15,000
miles is, it's the fuel that we're using now a days. It's doped with
alcohol for one thing and who knows what else has been done to the refinement.
Todays engines with their computer dictating mixture and timing many times
a second can compensate for the fuel it's drinking, the simple Stovebolt can't.
In the ten years that I've been on the Stovebolt.com forum and many other
forums, I've yet to hear any other valid solutions.

I doubt very seriously if your new exhaust has anything to do with the
hesitation. If your air cleaner is choking down the engine a little that
may account for the reason the stumble is gone now. The original air
filters/spark arrestors offered very little restriction to air flow compared
to the paper filters, that's why generally the air cleaners that use a
paper element are quite a bit larger than the old oil bath or oil soaked
mesh filters.

Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL


Last edited by Denny Graham; 10/26/2015 11:07 AM.

Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 192
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 192
Denny, it is a '56 235 hydraulic lifter engine out of a car with a manual transmission according to my figuring. I put a mr. Gasket paper element air filter on it (which is a very poorly designed piece of equipment) I had to run a bead of silicone around the base to plug up the gaping holes left by the poor fit on the carb. I have jacked a couple degrees of advance into the timing, but that did nothing for the stumble, I'm debating on whether or not to put it back to zero.

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Thought you might have a truck engine with solids that needed
adjustment.
The hydraulics do get gummed up, they are very close tolerance,
just a few tenths clearance on the plungers. If your sure they
are getting oil and the galley isn't plugged up, you can pull
the lifter and dissasemble it to clean the varnish. What ever
you do don't use sandpaper or wire brush the them. A solvent
an fine (white) scotch bright will clean them. Also soaking
them in carburetor cleaner can help soften any varnish.
If you do end up disassembling the lifters to clean them, keep
them in order and on the same lobe and be VERY meticulous
about the reassembly. No pliers, no scratches and clean hands,
clean bench, clean lifter when you're dealing with parts have
that close of a fit. Compare this to the average human hair
which is .002"-.004" and you have some idea of how close a few
tenths is.
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL



Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 192
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 192
I took all the lifters apart and cleaned them last winter, keeping them all in order. Then very carefully adjusted them.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0