The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (CuzzFuzz), 83 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,135
Posts1,056,423
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1131024 10/23/2015 11:52 PM
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 45
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 45
Hello fello bolts.. I just bought my first truck. A 1959 gmc 350 with a custom flatbed. I have three questions already. Your help is appreciated

Q 1:
My front fenders have some rot in the bottoms. How do I address this rot? I cant find anyone that reproduces the big fenders. Are there salvage parts available? Who do you recommend? Will the 1/2 ton repair panels fit the big fenders?



Q 2:
What is the easist most cost effective but safe way to lower the front? I think I know how to lower the back (lowering blocks) I dont really want to derate the truck by installing a 1 ton front axle. But id like to drop the truck about 6". Does anyone produce a 4" drop axle for a 2.5 ton? Or drop springs?

Q 3:
Are the 1 ton front fenders interchangable with a 2.5 ton? Ive thought about swapping my fenders with a 1 ton so I can narrow the front. This will be incase I do have to swap to a 1 ton front axle. Im not crazy of the extra wide front fender look.

Thanks again....
bcgmc

bcgmc #1131145 10/24/2015 9:41 PM
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
I would answer no to all of all of your questions. Maybe you should look into getting a 1 ton to begin with and put a flatbed on it.

bcgmc #1131289 10/25/2015 6:39 PM
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 45
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 45
Anybody else have an oppion? Where can I possibly find some fenders.

bcgmc #1131295 10/25/2015 7:20 PM
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
Big truck fenders are only available from other truck guys or junk yards, you have to get out there and look for them. Place a PARTS WANTED ad here on the Stovebolt in the Swap Meet area, you never know what someone might have laying around.

More that likely you will have to engineer everything your self to get your end results, there are no hot rod parts for the BIG trucks. Like Ken said, it might be easier to start with a 1-ton truck to get the correct fender wheel openings and lower stance. Or find a modern 1-ton and swap everything over.

Mike B smile


Mike Boteler

1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod
1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep
1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo
1984 Jeep CJ7
+++++
Silver Spring, MD
Mike B #1131334 10/25/2015 11:53 PM
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 25
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 25
I have some very nice fenders from a 1959 Viking 60 2 ton that I'm parting out. The bottoms are solid and there is no headlight eyebrow rust or damage. I have pics available if interested.


Gary


When I get a headache, I take 2 aspirin and keep away from the kids like it says on the bottle.
bcgmc #1131529 10/27/2015 3:46 AM
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 176
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 176
I looked into lowering mine as well. Some of the issues I came across were, the axle hitting the oil pan if you tried to go to a shorter spring stack.The tires hitting the fenders if you did get it down that low. There are ways to get around these things but they are way more extensive than patching fenders. On the larger trucks if you can't find it you have to make it. Just did the lower cab corners on mine.Had to hammer the pieces out of sheet metal as there were no patch panels available.

bcgmc #1131535 10/27/2015 5:00 AM
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 14
C
New Guy
New Guy
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 14
wouldn't these be close??for cab corners?http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/ca/full.aspx?Page=15

Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 45
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 45
[quote=Straightjacket]I looked into lowering mine as well. Some of the issues I came across were, the axle hitting the oil pan if you tried to go to a shorter spring stack.The tires hitting the fenders if you did get it down that low. There are ways to get around these things but they are way more extensive than patching fenders. On the larger trucks if you can't find it you have to make it. Just did the lower cab corners on mine.Had to hammer the pieces out of sheet metal as there were no patch panels available. [/quote]

I thought the cabs were the same for the big trucks and the small trucks.

bcgmc #1131567 10/27/2015 1:47 PM
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 45
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 45
I thought about lowering mine with a 59 1 ton front axle that has a 4" drop. I just dont know if the 1 ton front axle is the same lenght as the 2.5 ton. I know id have to change everything else to a 1 ton also and thats fine. And I could lower the rear with blocks. My front axle is an F045 and 1 tons are F035 or F040. Not sure of the differences I just know that there are aftermarket 4" drop 1 ton axles.

Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 45
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 45
Originally Posted by Straightjacket
Just did the lower cab corners on mine.Had to hammer the pieces out of sheet metal as there were no patch panels available.

I thought that all the cabs were the same on big and small trucks. Wouldnt the 1/2 ton cab corner replacement be the same for the big trucks?

bcgmc #1131577 10/27/2015 2:45 PM
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 25
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 25
The cabs, doors and hoods are the same on the 1/2 through 2 ton trucks, so the cab corner patch panels will be the same.




When I get a headache, I take 2 aspirin and keep away from the kids like it says on the bottle.
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 45
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 45
Originally Posted by 55_2nd_Series
I have some very nice fenders from a 1959 Viking 60 2 ton that I'm parting out. The bottoms are solid and there is no headlight eyebrow rust or damage. I have pics available if interested.


Gary


PM sent.

bcgmc #1131667 10/28/2015 1:45 AM
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 176
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 176
Front of the cab,COE. If they are available,I didn't spend enough time to find them.
I decided to go stock height with mine.I may drop it later.If I do it will be on a full custom frame and running gear.


Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0