The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Millenimech, papas52), 145 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,109
Posts1,056,266
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#113077 11/13/2001 5:37 AM
Joined: Mar 2000
Posts: 18
D
Member
Member
D Offline
Joined: Mar 2000
Posts: 18
Don't mean to sound stupid....but what is filling primer? I've sprayed primer before but have never heard of this type. Is it used for filling in minor pitted areas?

thanks, Ken

#113078 11/13/2001 6:49 AM
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 804
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 804
I don't remember the term being used on a "label". But it would refer to any primer that is used for surfacing I would think. What a company uses as a name or description cold be misleading.

There are many different "primer surfacers" that would do filling. Everything from the old lacquer that barely fills 120 grit scratches with a couple of coats to polyester primer that could literally bury a quarter taped to your fender!

Is there a particular need you are after?


1948 Chevy Pickup
Chopped and sectioned
owned since 1974 when I was 15.
#113079 11/13/2001 7:18 AM
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,219
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,219
Filler primer is just what it sounds like. A heavy primer. I used some from DuPont and it worked great. It was a two part epoxy type. About two good coats is all that was needed. Then just block sand down and seal. You can really build up a area with this stuff. Joe

#113080 11/13/2001 8:52 PM
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 12
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 12
Filling primer is a "heavy solids" primer that will actually fill scratches and build up the surface. The slang name around here is "Bondo Primer". Like JoeH says, Block it out and you're good to go. It is a porous primer and will need to be sealed.


There is no problem so great that it cannot be solved by the application of thought, elbow grease and copious amounts of CASH.

Snappy
#113081 11/13/2001 9:56 PM
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,897
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,897
I would still treat it with zero-rust


There is enough good in the worst of us and enough bad in the best of us that it does not behoove any of us to criticize the rest of us.
-
-
Be yourself. If you are ever lost, It will be much easier to find yourself if you know who you are!
#113082 11/13/2001 11:18 PM
Joined: Mar 2000
Posts: 18
D
Member
Member
D Offline
Joined: Mar 2000
Posts: 18
Thanks everybody for the info....I wasn't looking for anything in particular....I was reading another post last night and they kept on referring to a filler primer and I wasn't sure as to what they were talking about. I understand it now. By the way, I did treat it with Zero Rust first.

thanks, Ken

#113083 11/14/2001 1:33 AM
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 804
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 804
SNappy, it doesn't need to me sealed, if it uses a hardener. I have seen the name "Filler" refered to many primers includeing some that have very little filling quality.


1948 Chevy Pickup
Chopped and sectioned
owned since 1974 when I was 15.
#113084 11/14/2001 2:26 PM
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 12
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 12
MARTINSR, You're right I was thinking of a specific product called .... Featherfill??? ... But there are catalyzed, filler primers, I've just never used one.


There is no problem so great that it cannot be solved by the application of thought, elbow grease and copious amounts of CASH.

Snappy
#113085 11/14/2001 3:19 PM
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 804
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 804
Featherfill is a polyester, catalyzed primer and doesn't need to be seeled.


1948 Chevy Pickup
Chopped and sectioned
owned since 1974 when I was 15.

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0