The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
10 members (68ironhead, Wally / Montana, 3B, Gdads51, Bill Hanlon, Gray_Ghost, Rusted Nut, Shade Baby, Pre '68 Dave, Otto Skorzeny), 162 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,104
Posts1,056,197
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 306
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 306
48zuburban, ** Your report on JC's reproduced fender trim will be greatly appreciated. If your report is good I hope to put them on a frame off restoration I'm doing on a 52 half-ton. That is unless I receive information that they will not fit the pickups??? Thanks for your time.

Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,146
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,146
Originally Posted by marzach
48zuburban,That is unless I receive information that they will not fit the pickups??? Thanks for your time.
The upper side & rear lower shape of the 1947-55 1st series truck front fenders are all the same shape.
Therefore the stainless steel Deluxe Panel truck reveal moulding. (Spears and the three pieces) will fit.

The rear fender of the pick-up truck is thicker than the rear fender of the panel truck.
Therefore the three pieces will come up short. Example
pic 1
pic 2

Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 29
R
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
R Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 29
can anyone ask Jim Carter to start to repo METAL
rear fenders for our burbs and panels ?
thanks
Bob B

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
It does seem odd that no one make those 47-55 panel-body rear fenders.

Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 257
Haunting the SBP since 2001
Haunting the SBP since 2001
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 257
Originally Posted by tclederman
It does seem odd that no one make those 47-55 panel-body rear fenders.

Typically the minimum crank out on sheet metal parts is 1000 units {most factories will not even tool up for anything less than 1000 units}.

So the vendor invests a butt-load of $$$ to have 2 tools made & then he pays to have them stamped out & then he pays to have them shipped from the other side of the globe to get them here.

Now he has hundreds of thousands of dollars tied up in a pile of 2000 new fenders.

He tries to market them & all he hears is....

"They are too expensive"
"Shipping is too much"
"I only use original parts on my truck"
"These are cheapo Chinese parts"


I don't think that there are 1000 burb. & panel owners out there to buy all 2000 fenders & even if there is.... the vendor would still need to twist arms to get people to buy them.

That is why no one has reproduced them yet T.C.

Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,146
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,146
Originally Posted by simplex
Typically the minimum crank out on sheet metal parts is 1000 units {most factories will not even tool up for anything less than 1000 units}.

So the vendor invests a butt-load of $$$ to have 2 tools made & then he pays to have them stamped out & then he pays to have them shipped from the other side of the globe to get them here.

Now he has hundreds of thousands of dollars tied up in a pile of 2000 new fenders.

He tries to market them & all he hears is....
"They are too expensive"
"Shipping is too much"
"I only use original parts on my truck"
"These are cheapo Chinese parts"

I don't think that there are 1000 burb. & panel owners out there to buy all 2000 fenders & even if there is.... the vendor would still need to twist arms to get people to buy them.

That is why no one has reproduced them yet T.C.

So, Why doesn't the same analogy apply to the pickup truck front and rear fenders.

You would think the Suburban, Panel, and Canopy Express trucks rear fenders are more
susceptible to damage because of the lack of rear view when backing up.
Hence the need for repo's.

With the five window cab on the pickup trucks if you
smash the rear fender while backing up you shouldn't be driving.

There has to be more smashed single unit bodies rear fenders than there are smashed Cab bodies rear fenders.

jorb #1127388 10/01/2015 11:08 PM
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,146
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,146
Originally Posted by tclederman
It does seem odd that no one make those 47-55 panel-body rear fenders.
I think someone makes them in fiberglass.

Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 257
Haunting the SBP since 2001
Haunting the SBP since 2001
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 257
Originally Posted by jorb
So, Why doesn't the same analogy apply to the pickup truck front and rear fenders.

There has to be more smashed full body rear fenders than there are smashed single body rear fenders.

You just answered your own question jorb.... there are 10 times as many stepside trucks out there compared to panels & suburbans & that means there are 10 times as many people that need truck fenders compared to people that need panel/burb. fenders.

Anyone who cranks out 2000 stepside truck fenders will liquidate them quickly.

Anyone who cranks out 2000 new panel/burb. rear fenders will be choking on them for a long long time.






.

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
To confirm simplex's explanation: approximately 1 in 7 trucks (1/2 ton, 3/4 ton, and 1 ton) were panel body

Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 16
4
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 16


cant stop wont stop
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 16
4
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 16


cant stop wont stop
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 16
4
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 16


cant stop wont stop
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 16
4
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 16


cant stop wont stop
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 16
4
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 16
have to say jim did a good job on these well worth the wait in 2 pics I put a original and a repop next to each other can you guys tell the difference and thickness there basically the same


cant stop wont stop
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,146
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,146
Can you show pictures of the front and rear lower fender 3 pieces lined up, one above the other.
Kind of how they would look on the fender.

Did they send any pattern for hole place on the fenders?

The spear bolt attachment metal looks to be Stainless steel. Originals were metal and rusted.

Other than that the spears & fender piece look original.

Put them on fenders that are attached to a truck and take some more pictures.
Then I will give a Thumbs-Up or Down.
Compare Video

#1128212 10/06/2015 5:32 PM
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 306
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 306
** Would like to know if anyone has installed JC's delux fender trim & spears on a 48/54 Chevy truck that could post pictures or update on fitment? Your pictures/report might save some lots of $$$$ or make others very happy. Your time and effort greatly appreciated. **

Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 306
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 306
** I guess it is safe to assume that no one has installed JC's delux fender trim/spears on a pickup yet. Maybe soon.

Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 1,517
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 1,517
Theres a couple pics of delux trims installed on pickups at:
www.chevybombs.com

Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 306
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 306
** Was hoping someone had purchased Jim Carter's reproduction delux fender trim & spears and installed on a 48/54 Chevy truck so one could get a good idea on fitment. ** "Maybe Soon" they have not been available from Oldchevytrucks.com {Jim Carter} very long.

Last edited by marzach; 10/09/2015 3:54 AM.
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 924
U
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
U Offline
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 924
** Just buy it. Easiest way to get your answer. Let us know how it fits. It costs more than I paid for my truck.

Brad


Wrench Fetcher, PhD
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,146
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,146
Wonder if Jim Carter would give me discount if I
offered him a complete original set, slightly dinged up and unpolished. (2 spears and 12 fender pieces).
For his complete set.

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,557
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,557
If they are slightly dinged,why not have them straightened and polished.



1951 3100 Chevrolet
1951 Chevrolet Suburban Carryall
Image
"A house is built with boards and beams. A home is built with love and dreams."
"Look deep before you leap !!!" / "Everything is Everything"
"If I say a mouse can pull a house, hitch him up"
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 257
Haunting the SBP since 2001
Haunting the SBP since 2001
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 257
Originally Posted by jorb
Wonder if Jim Carter would give me discount if I
offered him a complete original set, slightly dinged up and unpolished. (2 spears and 12 fender pieces).
For his complete set.

I doubt J.C. would give you any credit at all on your beat up & dented original set that you have been clutching on too.

You will be better off trying to pawn them off to a dummy that does not know any better than to buy the new ones from J.C.

How many millions of $$$$$ do you expect to get for your dented up original strips & spears ?





Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
marzach, its my personal opinion but if JimC himself had it re-popped then its better than some of the stuff he sells that someone else had remade. I'll use the gas tank for my panel as an example. No one else made them. Jim had re-popped them and it is a dang great match to the original and just as good, maybe even better. It is Identical to the old one.
This is just my opinion on stuff he has personally repopped......and vs the 2 grand, or more, that everyone wants for dented and banged up pieces to spend more money on I'd say this is one time I'd go for the ones made in Mexico! If I ever decide to put them on my panel I'd buy from Jim. My .02


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
I think I'll have mine airbrushed on. After I paint it. grin


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 306
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 306
Achipmunk, Thanks for your thoughts I'm inclined to agree with you on the quality of JC's repo delux fender trim. Just in case you did not notice I'm thinking about putting them on a frame off restoration I'm doing on a 52 3100. Do you or others see any problem with my thoughts?? Thanks Again,

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
...if you have the holes already in the fender I'd say your good to go. However, if you have to drill the holes I'd say be extra careful as the location on the fenders could make it or break it. I think you should go for it. It'll spiffy up any truck or panel/burb. If you ever decide to sell I'm sure it'll enhance the value to the buyer.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 5
F
New Guy
New Guy
F Offline
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 5
stainless trim package on ebay new right now $1550

Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 16
4
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 16


cant stop wont stop
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
The fender trim looks real nice.

Did you have a template for drilling the holes?

Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 16
4
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 16
I will post the instructions I received from jc


cant stop wont stop
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 306
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 306
** Recently purchased Jim Carters delux fender trim and the front fender spears to install on a 53 Suburban that I'm about to start an off frame restoration on. Not installed yet but they look really nice out of the box could not find even a small flaw with any of the items, as far as fit only time will tell but if the fit is near the quality of the trim appearance wise I don't expect any problem with the fit.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  MNSmith, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0