The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (Greg_H), 119 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,102
Posts1,056,184
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1126661 09/28/2015 6:29 AM
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 815
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 815
What can I use with a 6v? I am not sure If I want to restore my old one.

Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,215
Leo Offline
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,215
Both 6v and 12 v heaters are available. I'm not sure what exactly you're asking.

Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,214
V
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
V Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,214
Whats wrong with the original?
If the core isn't leaking you can either repair or replace the blower motor.
If it's the switch they are also available. Be advised that the aftermarket 6v rheostat type only seem to last about 3 winters, atleast in my case. They aren't too expensive and are very easy to swap out.
My original 6v heater didn't leak but the blower motor was frozen. I disassembled the heater, took apart the motor, cleaned and lubed it up, cleaned out the fins on the core and the heater can run me out of the cab on the coldest days if I run it on high. I'm still amazed at how well it works even considering it's age (1949).

If you just want to swap yours out several on-line parts houses carry kits in both 6v & 12v versions.

Good luck
Dave

Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 815
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 815
Thanks Dave. I might still reconsider and restore the old one. It is out of the truck now and I have never used it. It is a GMC. The truck is a Chevy. I would think the heaters would be about the same. Steve

Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,399
D
Gas Pumper
Gas Pumper
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,399
There is alot of information pertaining to this here:

http://devestechnet.com/Home/HeaterRestore

I realize it's not the same heater, but the information is basically the same. Then to decide what to do with your heater switch, which is a real issue that should be addressed there is more info here:

http://devestechnet.com/Home/Native12VUpgrade

If you have a 6 volt system, then all you really have to do is clean things up and make sure the wiring is good. If you have a 12v system and you dont want to go to alot of trouble, get a 12v to 6v reducer and wire it to the heater switch BAT terminal. Lots of guys here know how to help you. Many great options available.



Deve

1950 Chevy 3100 Deluxe Cab
1950 Chevy 3100 Standard Cab
In the Stovebolt Gallery
The Think Tank
More info and tips at Deve's Technet
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 815
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 815
Thanks for all the good info Deve.


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0