The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Otto Skorzeny, rfs56trk, Buckeye998, Chip O, WICruiser), 121 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,101
Posts1,056,172
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1122416 09/03/2015 5:56 PM
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,038
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,038
Before dismantling the rear axle on my 37 1/2 ton project, I noticed gear oil dripping from one of the rear spring seat and caps (group # 5.403)and off the u-bolts. This is the place where the axle rotates, since the torque tube is rigid at the differential carrier, and there is a grease zerk. This zerk lubricates the outside of the axle housing. After removing the spring seat and cap, there is a curved steel strap that rides in a groove of the seat, and is riveted to the axle housing. If you look from the end of the axle, the rivets are at about 4 and 8 o'clock, with 6 o'clock being at the bottom where the gear oil would run between the bearings and the differential. Confused yet?

These rivets are slightly loose on both sides of the axle and that is where gear oil is seeping through. Now, there is a hole in the bottom of the cap, I presume to let the oil drip off, rather than all over every thing. Should these rivets be tight and thus, oil proof?

I am thinking that it may be okay that they leak which would contribute to lubrication. My truck had grease and dirt plugging the holes in the cap, so the gear oil could not drip off and went all over the u-bolts, etc.

To "tighten" these rivets would be near impossible since you can't reach the end located within the inside of the axle tube.

Anybody have any experience with this?
Kent

Last edited by Lightholder's Dad; 09/03/2015 10:28 PM. Reason: clarity

1937 Chevy 1/2 ton
1942 Chevy 1/2 ton
1947 Diamond T Model 509
1951 Chevy 1/2 ton
1950 Chevy COE Model 5700 ~ "Barney" ~ And more pix
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 775
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 775
When I did my 46,same construction,one side was tight the other one rivet was broken. As you say no way to replace the rivet. I welded the broken side to the axel. I also had the two 1/2 shells machined to reduce the clearence. I had allot of axel wear. Other than an oil mess and having to check diff fluid I don,t think there an issue. That rivets might fail someday? You might be able to clean the parts and force rtv between to reduce the leakage?

Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,038
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,038
Thanks for the response. There is wear in this case, as well, since the combination of road dirt, grease/oil and 78 years makes a good grinding compound.

I agree, a little gear oil drip on a parade vehicle won't be an issue. The curved metal strap that is riveted to the axle must have some side to side force as I think it help keeps the axle centered. Unless the rivets are tight I don't think rtv would stay in place. Welding the perimeter of the strap might be a solution.
Thanks,
Kent


1937 Chevy 1/2 ton
1942 Chevy 1/2 ton
1947 Diamond T Model 509
1951 Chevy 1/2 ton
1950 Chevy COE Model 5700 ~ "Barney" ~ And more pix

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0