The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Barry Martak, Ponchogl, Peggy M, Otto Skorzeny, Hanks custodian), 90 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,134
Posts1,056,403
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 924
U
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
U Offline
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 924
55.2 Chevy 3100 235 12v Gauge Cluster Questions

What do I need to do to use an electrical temp gauge (in the cluster) when I previously had the 55.2 mechanical temp gauge?

A while back I got a remanufactured Gauge cluster at a good price; everything was tested, certified, et cetera, but I am just getting around to figuring out what I need to go from the engine to the electric temp gauge in the new cluster. Simple? Easy? Rear window weatherstrip difficult?

I have not figured out our new search yet. I also couldn't find any part(s) to make this happen---but, that's why I'm asking- I really am unsure what to look for. Thanks for any advice on this.

Brad


Wrench Fetcher, PhD
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
55.2 did not have an electric gauge so your cluster probably has a 56 or up, which uses an O'Reillys WT203 (TS6) sender. Screw it in the motor where the other one was and wire it to gauge. Easy. One gauge post says "S" sender, other says "I" or + , hot wire.


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 924
U
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
U Offline
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 924
What type of terminal end goes on the button connection on the temperature sender?

I had one of those (maybe more) leftover from the cracked cylinder head replacement days. Fits like it belongs there (because it did). Learning as I go- thanks for the info.

Brad


Wrench Fetcher, PhD
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
Sender (Switch)

OR a standard crimp-on, 1/4, female, blade terminal.
Terminal


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 219
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 219
On original wiring:
Pink wire from Ign post to accy on ignition switch.
Green wire from sender post to sender

Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 924
U
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
U Offline
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 924
I got the 1/4" female terminal connection, and only had time to check its fit.

Originally Posted by 59ApacheGail
On original wiring:
Pink wire from Ign post to accy on ignition switch.
Green wire from sender post to sender
Can you elaborate on this?

Thanks!
Brad


Wrench Fetcher, PhD
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
Gail is telling you the normal Chevy wire colors to wire gauge/sender per post 1120612 above. Regarding the hot lead or + lead to gauge: I would wire from "ON" terminal on ignition switch to gauge fuse, than back to gauge. The ignition switch batt terminal is usually direct wired to battery, But even that should have a Fusible Link. Everything wired to the ignition "on" terminal should go thru fuses then to component or it's switch.



Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 924
U
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
U Offline
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 924
As a follow up, and honesty check- the Classic Parts wiring harness I had purchased to install ended up being wired/prepped for the electrical temp sender.

I learned a lot, either way, so this thread wasn't a waste of time.

Brad


Wrench Fetcher, PhD
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 219
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 219
Hi Brad,

Are you all set? Your last post is a little confusing. I am running the same harness and a v6 (not 6v) ignition switch. V8s didn't have floor starters so they had three positions and different posts on them. Their original replacement harness uses the same colors as originals. I got the one with the numbers printed on it.

Pink wire from one of the four "accessory" prongs on my ign switch to ign post on the gauge. (has Ign or sender written on the cardboard behind the nuts on the gauge posts). Then you get your green wire from the sender on the engine to the sender post.

If you were looking at the back of the housing not the gauge faces... Sender post would be on the left and ign post would be on the right.

Hope that helps you get it all set up.

Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 924
U
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
U Offline
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 924
All is good; my wiring harness came 'wired' for a cylinder head with an electric sender, so I had in hand the answer to the original question. That's all I meant by the previous post.

Brad


Wrench Fetcher, PhD
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 219
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 219
Ok great glad you're on the right path. It doesn't take much to kill one with incorrect wiring.


Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0