The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Gray_Ghost, Shade Baby, Peggy M, Millenimech, NJC), 90 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,120
Posts1,056,321
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 899
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 899
Would anybody be willing to PM me there phone number, so I can text them pictures of my GM tranny, and see if they can identify it? Apparently I'm not smart enough to link pictures from my phone to on here. frown IT was hooked to a 1958 261 engine I acquired.

TIA.


Brian
1955.2 3100 Truck
The older I get the more dangerous I am!!!!!
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Here ya go Brian. Danged if I know what it is.
but it's not an SM420 which I thought would have been behind a '58, 261:
http://www.pbase.com/dennygraham/oddball_transmissions

Got nothing for '58 transmissions, but if it's the same as
the '59 this might help:
http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/chevyresto/59tsn04.htm
Looks like it could be a New Process or Spicer.
Try to find some numbers on it.
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL

Last edited by Denny Graham; 08/15/2015 10:39 AM.

Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

Last edited by tclederman; 08/15/2015 11:18 AM. Reason: corrected/added info
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Can't sleep either huh?
Numbers will tell Tim, but by looking at the shifter cover, it
looks like a New Process.
To bad that 5th speed wasn't an over drive, I'd think about
using that in my '50.
Think we're zeroing in on it Brian. I'd bet Ken has seen a
bunch of these.
dg

Last edited by Denny Graham; 08/15/2015 11:55 AM.

Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 899
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 899
Denny and Tim thanks for the help. I'm thinking it's a new process since reverse position is up and to the right. This thing must of come from a pretty good size truck. I'll and get numbers and post them later.


Brian
1955.2 3100 Truck
The older I get the more dangerous I am!!!!!
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,961
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,961
Clark and New Process both have reverse toward the right and up towards the dash. New process has 1st to the left and towards the dash while Clark has first to the right and toward the seat. They both come in direct and overdrive. In the mid 50's, New Process was more popular with 5th over than Clark with 5th over.

Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 899
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 899
Found a saw tooth circle with NP close together in the circle. Also found a 6-10-58 date, and a C-911-71 number. The PTO on the side had serial#9070494 model# BAC86 2B. Arrow Gear. Broken Arrow O.K. Does this thing have any value? Or should I take it to the scrap yard to be turned into 3 Subaru's smile it's HEAVY!!! again thanks for the reply's.


Brian
1955.2 3100 Truck
The older I get the more dangerous I am!!!!!
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,961
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,961
People who are restoring trucks a little larger than a 2 ton could use it, But finding someone who needs it may be difficult. The ones with overdrive or the close ratio between 4th and 5th are the most desirable. If you have a shed and are not crowded for space, it is worth keeping. But if you have no space, sometimes you have to do what you gotta do.

Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
E
Crusing in the Passing Lane
Crusing in the Passing Lane
E Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
NP-540,,541,542 series, keep it, or advertise it, they are good trans'. I put one in an early Bronco behind a Buick V6, really liked it. Great for starting with a load, get going in first, 4 close ratios thereafter. Ones with Chevy bolt pattern and short input shafts are hard to find.


Last edited by EdPruss; 08/16/2015 2:24 AM.

'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires.
'47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle.
'54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed.
'55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 899
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 899
Ed, mine has the Chevy bolt pattern and the 6.5" short input shaft. So again Denny, Tim, Ken, and Ed, thank you for helping figure out what I got.


Brian
1955.2 3100 Truck
The older I get the more dangerous I am!!!!!

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0