The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (MNSmith, Otto Skorzeny), 92 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,130
Posts1,056,717
Members48,454
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 192
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 192
Just received my speedway king pin kit the other day for my '53 half ton. Instead of an actual Bearing for the thrust, which is what the truck had, it came with these cheesy cup washers and brass faced washers. They don't even rotate smoothly, the top and bottom cup washers grind against each other somewhat. It seems as if the brass faced washer bushings are not thick enough to keep the cup washers from contacting improperly. Anyone else have this issue? I'd rather there be an actual bearing instead of bushing to carry the load. Is there anywhere I can just get the proper ball/roller bearing for this debacle?

Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,504
J
Moderator, Electrical Bay
Moderator, Electrical Bay
J Online: Content
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,504
I'd bet Purvis Bearings could help or could point you in the right direction.
Check their website. They might have a location up your way.


~ Jon
1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235 | T5 with 3.07 rear end
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
The phone is your best friend right now. Spend 30 minutes to some of the other vendors for verification if they say you have them. Good luck....and your problem seems to be the "norm" these days. I ordered a steering column bearing for a later model, and they sent me a bushing!
...it ought to be against the law!


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 192
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 192
I did a fair amount of looking for a thrust bearing today but haven't came up with much yet. I will be making some calls tomorrow to further my search. I still can't believe what a Mickey Mouse thrust setup those kits come with. The spindle bushings, king pins, and other hardware are nice, but those cups and washers for the thrust are uugghhh!

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
Maybe they sent you a kit for the wrong year. I think they went to thrust washers a few years later and the really heavy trucks used them too.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
I'm with Nix. Some models came with the washers instead of brgs. They are not interchangeable. You must have the wrong kit for your axle.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Lemmm117 (the original poster) is referring to a '53 half ton

As many who posted above have stated:

It did not come with washers.

I think he is referring to 1948-1951 Figure 1, part #17 : king pin thrust bearing

Same configuration through 1955-1st (and probably at least up to 1959 1/2 ton).

Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 192
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 192
Well, the pic in speedways catalog shows bushings and washers for the thrust, no actual bearing, like original. I ordered part # 910-32130 for '47-59 half ton. I even called them today to see If they had a bearing for it and they said no. They did suggest a deluxe kingpin kit that seems to have needle bearings for the spindle and a ball bearing for thrust, but they are for cars. I don't know if that kit would work. Also they said they can't sell just the thrust bearing, and that kit is quite pricy. All I need now is just a thrust bearing. I hate to have to buy a whole other kit since I just bought this one. I've also been calling Jim Carter trucks tech line all day but they don't ever seem to pick up the phone.

Last edited by Lemmm117; 08/11/2015 10:23 PM.
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
Here is where I got my information on the thrust washers for the 55 second series. 55 2nd Shop Manual I would tell them that their kit is wrong and that you want your money back. Normally the kit would include both the thrust bearings and the kingpins etc.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 192
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 192
I think their kit is just another example of things not being the quality that things used to be. Just a cheeper system to manufacture and therefore sell for cheeper, but sacrificing performance. I have been in bed since yesterday morning recovering from a double hernia surgery (quite painful and uncomfortable) When I feel well enough to get moving outside, I'll swing down to the local bearing supply shop and see if they can dig something up that will replace the original thrust bearing.

Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 192
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 192
I just got off the phone with LMC Truck. They were unable to tell me at this time if their kingpin kits have a thrust bearing or bushing, at this time. They plan on emailing me a photo of their kit tomorrow. I might have to end up just ordering a whole other kit. Not too happy with the speedway kit.

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
And you will post that picture for the rest of us to see, right?
dg


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 192
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 192
I can try. I haven't posted any pics here. I'll have to read up about how to do it.

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Is this the $150 set you bought?
Here is a $40 set from Speedway
Both seem to have bearings?
What is the part number of the set you bought?
Sorry, I gave up on their "search engine"

Here is a $60 standard set.
Here is a $65 oversized set.
Both sets have bearings.

Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 192
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 192
I bought the standard set for 1/2 ton 47-54 pickup. gave part number in an earlier reply. They were 39.99 a set I believe.

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
Are you sure you did not get a 1955-59 set? They use thrust washers instead of bearings originally.


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270

Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 192
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 192
Ok. Speedway catalogue #390. Page 106, classic truck section. Part # 910-32130. Description: 1/2 ton kingpins 47-59 1/2 ton. And pic shows the bushings, not bearings. Those links to speedway say car kingpins, like part# 910-32123.

Last edited by Lemmm117; 08/12/2015 2:43 AM.
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Yep - no bearings

Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 192
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 192
Ya, no bearings. I find that kinda crappy. If it's a replacement, it should be exactly what you are taking out. Plus the cup washers and brass faced washer bushings in that kit are total ill engineered metal grinding on metal junk. Looks like I'll have to get another set from somewhere else.

Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 192
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 192
So, I received an email back from LMC truck. It was just a stock file photo of the kingpin set. It showed an actual ball bearing for the thrust, just like the original kingpins had. So I called them back and ordered that set, and I have sent back the speedway kingpin set. I stated on return slip that the thrust bearing is not the same style as OEM. So I am gonna be out the ten bucks for shipping back to speedway but not a big deal. Live and learn I guess.

Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
Both LMC & Classic parts show a different part # for 47-54 & 55-59. The photos show washers on the 55-59 & brg. on the 47-54. They are not interchangeable. The space for the thrust brg. is different. You must use the same kind that was in it.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Originally Posted by Lemmm117
So, I received an email back from LMC truck. It was just a stock file photo of the kingpin set. It showed an actual ball bearing for the thrust, just like the original kingpins had. So I called them back and ordered that set, and I have sent back the speedway kingpin set. I stated on return slip that the thrust bearing is not the same style as OEM. So I am gonna be out the ten bucks for shipping back to speedway but not a big deal. Live and learn I guess.
"Live and learn I guess. "

I have learned from your experience to stay away from Speedway Motors - they should have paid for the return shipping for a clearly incorrect part. Shame on them.

Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,146
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,146
Word of mouth I mean word of message board goes a long way these days.
The punk on the phone at Speedway saved $10 bucks on return shipping,
but lost future sales from whom ever read this Thread. A real hero.

Sometimes those green horns can't see past the end of their nose.

I once purchased a replacement sleep number wireless remote.
When it didn't work, I called and this 10 year old said I was stuck with it.
Requested the supervisor, He responded, We have to loosen the noose on are parts staff a little.
Result: Full refund on their dime.

Sometimes Squeaky Wheel Gets the Grease, No pun intended.

Thanks for the Heads-up on Speedway Motors, My green backs are going elsewhere.



Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 192
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 192
Don't get me wrong here. I am not trying to bash speedway. There are a lot of qualities I like about them, and this little situation isn't going to stop me from patronizing them in the future. It's just a small part mixup within the hundreds of thousands of pieces they handle.

Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
I've always had good luck with Speedway.
A lot of parts like kingpins are available through your local parts store.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0