The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 191 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,141
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1116428 07/30/2015 12:43 PM
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 8
J
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 8
My apologies up front if this is stupid question but, I need to ask it. I recently pulled the bed out of my ’54 Chevy 3100 to work on the bed sills and remove the aftermarket fuel tank the previous owner installed. However after doing the work I noticed something strange. With the truck in [u]PARK[/u], if I grab hold of the side of the bed and rock the truck forward and backwards (just the inch or two that it’ll allow) the entire rear end pivots up & down. Rock the truck backwards and the nose of the differential housing noticeably raises up. Rock it forward and nose dips down. This is all while the driveshaft is still in place. I’ve worked on cars as an enthusiast for decades, and honestly, the only time I’ve dealt with a rear end is while the vehicle was up on a lift, or jack-stands. And I’ve never worked on a rolling chassis. So this is the 1st time I’m viewing this, from this angle, under these circumstances. I don’t know if this is “normal”. I thought the rear end never moved and if it did it wouldn’t be this noticeable to the naked eye, and the U joint was there to handle any movement (?). I should also note, the previous owner also lowered the truck. I’m not sure whether or not he removed one (or more) leafs from the rear springs. If so, is it possible he just might not have tightened back up the U-bolts that secure the rear end to the springs properly? Hence, allowing the entire rear end to rotate slightly?
Again, maybe this is a whole lot ado about nothing, but seeing this is a 1st for me, so I wanted to try and get some input from the forum. Thanks in advance for anyone’s input/advice. John

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Can you see the u-joints?

If you can, you have a modified rear-end and rear-suspension.

Joined: May 2015
Posts: 8
J
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 8
Yes, you're correct Tim, this isn't a stock set-up. My apologies for not clarifying that in the orig post. The entire drive train has been modified. Camaro front clip up front and I have no idea where the previous owner got the SBC, tranny & rear end from. I guess my question was just a general inquiry, not specific to a particular make/model. Should a rear end move as much as I described? Can video’s be posted to the forum? If so, I can try to take a real short one to show folks. Thoughts/comments? Thanks for your reply Tim! John

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
The short answer is the rearend should not move like that. Something is wrong with the way it is mounted. A video or photos can be loaded onto one of the hosting sites like Photoshop and then a link to it posted here.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Are the spring perches welded. Stupid question maybe but I just have to ask. I know what happens when they are not! Are the "U" bolts over the rearend tight?


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 8
J
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 8
Hi all, thanks for the feedback!
The U-bolts were the 1st thing I checked as well. They’re tight. Frozen is more apropos. But there’s no play/movement. I thought he might have removed a leaf and didn’t tighten things back up, but I wasn’t able to get any movement from around the U-bolts or the springs themselves. Also, the rear end is not moving within the bolts (if that makes any sense). The top of the “U” is very much in contact with the rear end and moves when the rear end moves.
The spring perches are bolted, not welded to the frame.
Here is a quick video I just shot…


Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
I can't see the springs or perches in your video.
You state that, "The spring perches are bolted, not welded to the frame." Spring perches are normally welded to the axle.
Can you take another video, but pan out so we can see at least a complete view of one side?
Carl


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 8
J
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 8
Hi Carl,

Sorry about that, I was fixated on an issue I found on the shackle bracket last night. My bad. OK, the perches. To the untrained eye, it looks like he used wrong size perches. They are welded to the rear end WHERE THEY MAKE CONTACT, but looks like the perches on there were meant to accommodate a larger diameter rear end. There is a slight gap at the top of the perch on both the front & back side.
They also don’t look like they leveled prior to welding. There’s a noticeable gap between the base of the perch and the 1st leaf.


What I was looking at last night were the shackle brackets. Those are bolted to the frame, and I noticed something cracked on the driverside rear!


Since I’m vetting all my issues (found so far) with this truck, I was a little taken back by the position of the shock tower mounts on the frame. I (personally) have never seen shocks mounted at such a drastic angle before. Have any of you?


Thanks again to all for their input & advice!
John

Joined: May 2015
Posts: 236
4
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
4 Offline
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 236
Whew what movement, I hate to say but the spring perches look awful flimsy to me. They clearly in video are home made and the material looks sub-standard. Material not with standing they are not welded completely and what weld is there I would suspect as to its quality or if it is not cracked.

But in watching the first video over again several times, while I may be wrong but it looks like the far side axle tube is moving in the housing.

The shackle bracket is broke and must be replaced.

If it was me I would start with a unbolting of the U-bolts, finding a proper set of perches and weld them on.

Last edited by 48 Yuma Rebel; 07/31/2015 3:55 PM.

Baking in the nice desert sun, breathing life back into a 48 3800 5 window.
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
I think the shocks would not be very effective at that angle. That perch does not seem to be firmly mounted on the axle or the spring.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 236
4
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
4 Offline
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 236
Had to watch that video again, check the plug welds on the axle housing for the axle tubes.
If they look good, I would still chalk mark the tube and the housing and do the rocking.


Baking in the nice desert sun, breathing life back into a 48 3800 5 window.
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 186
Q
'Bolter
'Bolter
Q Offline
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 186
You have a very unstock suspension in your truck.the rear spring hangers are not the stock, the shocks have been moved from outside the frame to the inside. All this to allow for lowering the ride hieght. Note the C notches in the frame.also the springs are not stock width.nothing wrong with all that, worth knowing that as you work on it down yhe road. And yes your problem is with the perches not being secure. Note the rust around the u bolts and mounts. Cut it all off weld on new perches and don't reuse the U bolts, always go new.also make sure the pinion angle gets set right. If it is not , you get a vibration from the ujoint.

Joined: May 2015
Posts: 8
J
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 8
Thanks. The truck is sitting too low in my opinion. The front suspension "I assume" is a case of dropped spindles put in, but I was trying to figure out what he did to the back end and more importantly, how to change it. I knew the shocks were messed with, but I couldn't determine where they actually should go be mounted. More homework to do grin

Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 186
Q
'Bolter
'Bolter
Q Offline
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 186
I would redo the spring perches..you can buy them from spring shops..new u bolts and replace tthe rear spring hangers.and if you want to raise your ride height, 2 ways to do that...reposition the rear hangers or put a spacer block between spring and diff. That will change the shock angle considerably. My 54 has stock suspense but upgraded diff and the rear shocks do have a forward angle but not that drastic. Also suspect they were put inside the frame as the diff is to narrow for the shocks to stay out side the frame. If you want them back outside the frame.... you'll be looking for a wider diff. Hope that helps.

Joined: May 2015
Posts: 236
4
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
4 Offline
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 236
I can not see the count of leaves in the springs but looks like it may be shy a few setting ride height a bit lower and softer. count the leaves.
http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/shop/1954truck/54ctsm0459.html

Also a stock set up on the 3100 for perches is much different, with the perches installed as in pictures you likely see about a inch drop in the rear from that setup.
http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/shop/1954truck/54ctsm0456.html fig 86.

Last possible drop is in shackles, if the space between bolts and pin get smaller the ride goes lower.
http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/shop/1954truck/54ctsm0454.html



Baking in the nice desert sun, breathing life back into a 48 3800 5 window.
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 186
Q
'Bolter
'Bolter
Q Offline
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 186
I'm going to recant my comment on using a spacer block to increase ride height.that only works with diff mounted under spring.yours is diff on topnof spring. Really the only choice is to reposition rear hanger so the top of hanger is closer to or below bottom of frame, which will be a challange as it appears that the front of spring it mounted outsde of the frame as well. The original suspension was attached to the bottom of the frame.


Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0