5ptstar,
First, lay the mating surface of the manifold assembly on a flat surface. If it lays flat on the surface (no significant "air gaps"), you have a high probability for a good seal.
If it has gaps, you could try two sets of gaskets, or take the assembly to a machine shop to have the assembled mating surface planed ($50 job, probably).
Here are torque specs for later 235/261 engines - they should be OK for the older 216/235 engines.
Maybe someone has a link to the specs for a 216, or they can post a link to a Motor's Auto Repair Manual torque-specs page?
I tighten from inside bolts outwards - by feel (no torque wrench). If I could get a torque wrench in there, I would use 30 ft-lbs as max for all bolts and tighten in this sequence: 1/3 max spec (10), then again at 2/3 max spec (20), then finally at full/max spec (30).
Please do not ask me how you torque the intake manifold to a different setting from the exhaust manifold. I look forward to reading how others do that.