The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Swami29, Otto Skorzeny, Gray_Ghost, Youngin' Tut 59), 143 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,114
Posts1,056,605
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 52
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 52
I have a 51 3100 that I am trying to decide on an engine. I have an early 60's 283 that is rebuildable. Is this engine capable of anything besides a trip to the post office? I have heard that with a little love- it can come close to the mid 60's 327. I am looking for near, if not 300hp- but a daily driver also. Should I scrap the engine and get a crate- or give it a go with someones good advice and direction?????

Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,571
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,571
My experience with 283s is limited, however, my uncle used to have a '57 Bel Air with a 283 and 2-speed powerglide, every time I drove it I was impressed by the power available, even in that heavy car. The PG was a bit strange though - you would rev way up, then drop way down when it shifted.


Get a REAL truck, get a GMC! www.oldgmctrucks.com
1954 GMC De Luxe COE
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 275
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 275
283 is a good engine but is not an inexpensive rebuild--cost can be similar to inlines. Probably why folks go to 350/350 swaps.


1956 Chevy 3100
261/700r4 (formerly 3 speed OD)
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 687
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 687
A 292 produces as much power, and more low end torque as the 283. But the 283 probably has more "naturally aspirated" potential.

-ftyler

Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 962
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 962
For a street V8, the most you can hope for is 1.2 HP per cubic inch. That means that a 283 could make a maximum of 339 HP if you got the combination perfect.

chip


Preaching the Hot Rod Gospel according to the 4-stroke apostles:

Suck, Squish, Fire and Fumes
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 687
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 687
Chiphead,

So that's it. No wonder 300 HP 350s are so easy to build! And they're CHEAP too! eek

Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 962
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 962
The 1.2 HP per CID assumes a V8 with greater than 9:1 compression and proper selection of fuel, carburation, valvetrain, heads, ign, and exhaust systems. I've got a Pontiac 400 squirreled away for a 1.2 HP per CID project. Bored .030" will give 406 CID. You do the math.
*evil laughter*

chip


Preaching the Hot Rod Gospel according to the 4-stroke apostles:

Suck, Squish, Fire and Fumes
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 129
N
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
N Offline
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 129
Check out this '67

http://www.stovebolt.com/gallery/cooley_craig_1967_01.htm

A built 283 and the owner says it runs 13.80 in the quarter. Sounds impressive to me.


Blaine Dumkee
59 GMC 9314
Fort Smith NT
www.flickr.com/photos/northerngmc/
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
No wonder I find it fun to drive my wife's 1.8L New Beetle Turbo with 150hp (the new model has 180 hp) with far better than 1.2hp per cubic inch displacement (I think). I got no problem with speed and power; in fact, I loves it.

However, I like driving a stovebolt because it is a stovebolt. Yes, I do like driving my '54 with a modestly enhanced 261 (but it still has ancestral resemblance - it's ontogeny recapitulates its phylogeny).

Nonetheless, I like reading these discussions about Frankenstein monsters.

(What do you think, will this inappropriate statement get a rise out of a few people?)

Tim

Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 259
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 259
I'll find out in a few weeks how close to the 300 hp rating I came to with the 283 I warmed over a tad in this 50 Willys Jeepster I'm building for my Dad to putt around in. The 283 is bored .030 over, has a 10/10 crankshaft, true double roller timing chain, high volume oil pump, Comp Cam with 480 lift,194 Fulie heads, Polished Aluminum dual plane intake, 650 double pumper and a Recurved HEI Distributor. It sounds Sweet!!!

Joe


Joe
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 687
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 687
13.8s with a 283 pushing heavy c20 longbed 4x4..??? Very hard for me to believe, but impressive if true.

-ftyler

Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 129
N
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
N Offline
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 129
Well he did say it took a lot of tuning and it was on slicks to run 13.80.

He also said it wasn;t a highly streetable engine.


Blaine Dumkee
59 GMC 9314
Fort Smith NT
www.flickr.com/photos/northerngmc/
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 12
E
eb1 Offline
Member
Member
E Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 12
HOTROD Magazine had a "modern 283" recipe in the august '02 issue. They suggested vortec heads and super victor intake and also said it would be a high rpm motor(475hp @ 8000). Magazine also listed part numbers. My guess is this would cost pretty close the same as rebuild of any inline motor but would be different.


'64 C10-292 with TBI, 4speed, 3.42 rear
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 52
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 52
Sweet!!! I'll try to get me a copy of that issue. I'm glad to hear its not crazy.

Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 12
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 12
They made those spring cars run like scalded dogs well into the 70s!


It takes a big dog to weigh a ton

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0