Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,088 Posts1,056,381 Members48,442 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,953 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,953 | I think I will run power from the ignition switch. I believe there is an accessory post on it. How do I determine which post that is? Can I use a test probe to check it? | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | I think I will run power from the ignition switch. I believe there is an accessory post on it. How do I determine which post that is? Can I use a test probe to check it? Yes Check which post is hot when the key is off. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,953 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,953 | If it is hot that means there is always power to it. If I should leave the radio on it would drain the battery would it not? I do not see me leaving it on as I do not plan to use but it would be nice to be working. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | That is correct.
You could connect to an "accessory" lead/post that is off when the ignition switch is off. Check for the post that meets that requirement. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,953 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,953 | Will do. Not too many posts on the switch I don't believe. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | Do you have an original 1949 truck ignition switch?
How many posts does it have on the back of the switch? | | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,953 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,953 | It is an original 1949 switch. I do not know the number of posts as I cannot get it out very easily. Somewhere I thought there might be 3 as that is what is shown on the schematic. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 | My switch on the 51 does have three terminals. The original instructions for the radio installation call for the radio to be wired to the always hot feed to the switch. I believe this is because the switch wasn't rated to take the ignition, heater and the radio at the same time. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,953 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,953 | Thanks Fred. When it comes to the radio bench we can count on you. I think I tried to remove the ignition switch once before but had difficulty with the bracket attaching it to the lower dash. So given your comment that post on the switch would be a stand alone with nothing on it now. And it would be hot when the ignition is turned on? | | | | | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 | There is a wire that goes from the ammeter to the ignition switch. That wire is always live so that is where you would want to attach the feed if following the original instructions. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,953 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,953 | Thank you. Now being always live would that mean if I left the radio on for an extended period of time I could drain the battery? | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | Thank you. Now being always live would that mean if I left the radio on for an extended period of time I could drain the battery? That is correct. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 | I believe the original installation kit had a fuse holder that actually threaded onto the stud of the ammeter so that it was completely protected from the source. I don't think anyone reproduces those. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,953 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,953 | Thanks. Never seen them either. But of course I never looked as I didn't know of them. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,953 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,953 | seen something similar but not for a car radio. | | |
| |