The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (TUTS 59, DaveV, Gib70, Ponchogl), 109 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,129
Posts1,056,361
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1113386 07/13/2015 2:45 AM
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 37
R
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 37
I topped off my fuel tank a few days ago on my '46 Chevy. PU, drove a few (3 or 4) miles then when parked on street, I noticed fuel dripping out of the filler spout onto my running board. I siphoned fuel out of the fill tube neck, and in the next several hours it happened another 2 times. Could anyone explain this? It is like the fuel expands in the tank under the seat. What is the fix?

Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 201
E
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
E Offline
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 201
It will do that on a hot day. The fuel is stored under ground at the station so it's kind of cool. When it heats up in the cab of your truck, it expands and runs over. I had a Jeep that did that all the time. The filler neck was only a few inches long, so I would stuff the nozzle as far in as I could and not top it off unless I was going to use a few gallons right away. If you park the truck so the filler neck is on the downhill side, it exaggerates the situation.

Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 914
3
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 914
I told my son not to top of his tank because of the tank being under the seat the filler neck is very short and he does not want gas to spill over and run down the next over the grommet into the cab.

Though this post was great because it got me to remember the old days when all gas tanks had vented caps. And how on hot days the gas could leak from expansion.

So another piece of advice I have to pass on to my son.

Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 37
R
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 37
and you got that right, my newly repaved street now has a crown in it and my truck does sit at an angle with the filler on the downhill side. I am thinking of threading a nipple and tubing near the top of the filler neck and running it to dump under the truck, like a radiator overflow. What do you think?

Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,987
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,987
Mine has done it a couple times also. But I usually don't fill it full, as it doesn't get used that much.


Rich
1947 Loadmaster
1947 Chev. Loadmaster
1959 Chev. Viking 40

Life is short--eat dessert first!
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Originally Posted by rods46
and you got that right, my newly repaved street now has a crown in it and my truck does sit at an angle with the filler on the downhill side. I am thinking of threading a nipple and tubing near the top of the filler neck and running it to dump under the truck, like a radiator overflow. What do you think?

I think the greenies would go nuts. "This ol' boy has discreetly and deliberately rigged a way to dump gasoline into the environment."

I think you had best take precautions to prevent overflow. Such as take a drive in the country after filling.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,987
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,987
Originally Posted by cletis
I think you had best take precautions to prevent overflow. Such as take a drive in the country after filling.
Or, as previously mentioned, don't fill it all the way full!


Rich
1947 Loadmaster
1947 Chev. Loadmaster
1959 Chev. Viking 40

Life is short--eat dessert first!
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 37
R
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 37
Gasoline does come from the earth (recycling). I do prefer not to dump it, but I can't always just drive around either. I think the overflow is my option but I will look into a fuel tank sending unit that is vented.


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0