The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (Hotrod Lincoln, 2-Ton, Hugh63c10, Oswald, CuzzFuzz, 1955 1 Series), 61 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,353
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 914
3
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 914
1946 2 ton

The speedometer did not work.

I found that the speedometer cable was missing when I disconnected the housing. So I ordered a new cable and housing. Installed them and the speedometer still does not work.

I noticed that there is a thin rod that is connected from the 2 speed rear knob on the dash.

The straight rod has a bent end and it appears that should be in the end of an arm on the speedometer housing. But that rod goes through at least an inch past the bent end.

Now it appears that the rod should move the speedometer housing so the speedometer reads correct for each rear gear.

Should the rod not go past the bent end into the hole?

Should the speedometer housing position be at 12 o'clock?

It appears that then the rod would not go past the bent end.

Last edited by 32vld; 07/07/2015 1:01 PM.
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 236
4
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
4 Offline
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 236
You should at least see an indication it just might not be correct, with the cable disconnected from the speedometer do you see the cables center rotate when you are moving forward?
Some one can just watch the end while you drive or if you have junk laying around like I do you have an old speedo or a mechanical tach that you can test with.

This will check that you are getting drive from the rear.

If this looks OK, I always keep a short piece of speedo cable handy to chuck up on the drill for testing the speedometer itself.

Once you get a indication, then work on the rod for speed shift to show proper speed.

Last edited by 48 Yuma Rebel; 07/07/2015 2:36 PM.

Baking in the nice desert sun, breathing life back into a 48 3800 5 window.
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 914
3
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 914
Originally Posted by 48 Yuma Rebel
with the cable disconnected from the speedometer do you see the cables center rotate when you are moving forward?
Some one can just watch the end while you drive or if you have junk laying around like I do you have an old speedo or a mechanical tach that you can test with.

This will check that you are getting drive from the rear.

If this looks OK, I always keep a short piece of speedo cable handy to chuck up on the drill for testing the speedometer itself.

Once you get a indication, then work on the rod for speed shift to show proper speed.

I know this and wish I had an old piece of speedometer cable around.

What I do not know is where the arm that pivots on the back of the speedometer that the rod for speed shift connects to. The end of that is connected to the speedometer head pivots, should it be fixed?

Should that arm be at 12, 3, 6, 9, o'clock position?

Should that arm on the back of the speedometer be able to pivot or fixed, meaning that end should not pivot?

Last edited by 32vld; 07/07/2015 5:31 PM.
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 236
4
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
4 Offline
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 236
http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/parts/1929_54/362.htm

Vacuum or mechanical shift?

Vacuum start at 3


Baking in the nice desert sun, breathing life back into a 48 3800 5 window.
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 914
3
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 914
Vacuum.

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 926
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 926
I made a mechanism for my GMC from a vacuum advance,as per an article I saw on here someplace;it wasn't hard to do,and it shifts the speedometer just fine. I can't find a speedometer cable that works for mine;it's square drive at the speedometer,but old style round with a blade on the end that goes to the Brownie (Military?),unless someone makes an adapter for one end or the other. (I've seen adapters on eBay,but not being able to pick 'em up and look into the ends,I can't tell exactly what they do.) I asked the mechanic at a Truck Shop about it and he just stared at me like I was crazy.
Speed


1954 GMC 350
1957 GMC 1/2 ton
1962 Chevy C-30
1952 Chevy 6400 dump bed project truck
'98 Harley FLSTC
'66 Pontiac Catalina
'76 Chevy 1 ton Duallie
'84 Bronco II
'78 Dodge W-200
'81 Toyota 4X4 truck
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 914
3
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 914
This truck does not have a Brownie. And my son has the truck back down island again so I can not check things out for a while.

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 926
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 926
The Brownie is not a factor on your truck-I only mentioned it because it's keeping me from being able to check the operation my new vacuum speedometer shifter on the road. If you can look in the assembly manual,there's probably a picture of the OEM mechanism;it'll be easy to figure out how to make what you need from that.
Speed


1954 GMC 350
1957 GMC 1/2 ton
1962 Chevy C-30
1952 Chevy 6400 dump bed project truck
'98 Harley FLSTC
'66 Pontiac Catalina
'76 Chevy 1 ton Duallie
'84 Bronco II
'78 Dodge W-200
'81 Toyota 4X4 truck
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 60
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 60
I have a 1946 1.5 ton. GMC. JC sold me a speedo cable (metal) and it did not have the blade on the end. I sent it back and they sent me another one (JC I thinks works with a local shop) at no additional charge with the blade on the end.

Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
E
Crusing in the Passing Lane
Crusing in the Passing Lane
E Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
Apparently those square cables come in sizes, 3 as I recall, so it might be an issue for some.


'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires.
'47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle.
'54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed.
'55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.

Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0